Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Underdrive Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:41 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Default Underdrive Pulley?

Is Screaming Yellow the only one who has installed the ASP pulley?

The quoted gains are 12hp and 16tq, but the latest report is 4hp.

I spoke with ASP today, and they said they have tested it with much higher results that 4hp. They will take the parts back, if they don't work or provide the listed numbers.

I also spoke with a pulley manufacturer this afternoon, and for street applications they like to see a 3:1 ratio between crank and alternator. If you run only the 1/4 mile, they said you can get away with a 1.75:1 ratio.

I'm going to measure my pullies, and calculate the ratio and required sizes. I will find out what rpms they have to spin to maintain rotor rpm for the alternator and impeller rpm for the water pump. I have thought about an electric water pump, but it will make the alternater all the more important.

We need more people to report their mods with dyno reports before and after. If we all do this, we can do group buys on the parts that actually work.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:28 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrive Pulley?

makes alot of sense to me
Old 01-03-2006, 06:33 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

I spoke with ASP today, and they said they have tested it with much higher results that 4hp. They will take the parts back, if they don't work or provide the listed numbers.

I also spoke with a pulley manufacturer this afternoon, and for street applications they like to see a 3:1 ratio between crank and alternator. If you run only the 1/4 mile, they said you can get away with a 1.75:1 ratio.

I'm going to measure my pullies, and calculate the ratio and required sizes. I will find out what rpms they have to spin to maintain rotor rpm for the alternator and impeller rpm for the water pump. I have thought about an electric water pump, but it will make the alternater all the more important.

We need more people to report their mods with dyno reports before and after. If we all do this, we can do group buys on the parts that actually work.

Thanks!
Yea, he is the only one who has it, but keep in mind he has a alt pulley as well. I have been keeping a before/after dyno sheet record on my car...for the most part. I will be doing some more mods this month (parts already purchased) and posting some dynos. One for the TI CAI, one for the pro chamber and then one for the Zex with this combination of mods.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:46 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Thanks!
Did you really think ASP was going to tell you that they really only saw 4RWHP gain? LOL! "Yeah, we adverstise 12 but you only really get 4! HA HA!" Ok.. just picking on you dude! LOL! I just couldn't help myself... sorry...

Ok as rygen pointed out I had already swapped my alternator pulley... we did back to back testing so I can stand behind my results of 3 to 5 RWHP gain... Since this was like a 2 minute swap we were able to do this while the car sat on the dyno... The ASP pulley however was a bit more involved and I just couldn't have Lidio tie up his dyno while we swap the pulley. Also the dyno runs from the week or two before were bascially done under that same conditions... With the ASP on I seen no change in the dyno #. I should have seen something even with the alternator pulley already swapped!

Now Doug at BamaChips does a back to back test and picks up 4RWHP... hmmm... about what I would expect with an alternator pulley swap... LOL! So basically on the dyno the alternator is the biggest draw... A/C is freewheeling.... P/S pump shouldn't have any load on it... and the water pump apparently doesn't take much to drive...

Hopefully Justin at VMP will get a chance to do some back to back testing...

Well, it's nice that ASP will take the parts back... Since I don't own any impact wrenches or harmonic balancer pullers i get to pay to have some one put the stock one back on... oh and lets not forget the money I spent to dyno the darn thing... So I'll keep the ASP for now (had to put the stock alternator pulley back on)... I'm sure I'll get more power now on the hot days with the A/C on when I go around corners! LOL!

Of all the mods i've done so far, the ASP is the one that just plain cheeses me right off... ARGH!!!! LOL!

BTW... take a closer look at ASP's dyno sheet... if you look at the actuall number you see the graphs shows a 16RWHP gain not 12!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
05AV6
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Thanks!
Yea, he is the only one who has it, but keep in mind he has a alt pulley as well. I have been keeping a before/after dyno sheet record on my car...for the most part. I will be doing some more mods this month (parts already purchased) and posting some dynos. One for the TI CAI, one for the pro chamber and then one for the Zex with this combination of mods.

I'm running Doug's ASP UDP on my car now. Yes, we only saw 4 RWHPand that was back to back pulls within about 30 minutes of each other. But I still think the engine RPM ramps up quicker with the pulley installed. Again I have no data to support that claim. Less rotational mass, same thing we did back in the day with lighter flywheels is what I believe. Don't know how ASP came up with their numbers all I know is we didn't see those numbers, the automatic equipped cars seems to be a little difficult to get reliable repeatable dyno numbers, may not be the case, just my opinion. Does anyone know the specifics of ASP dyno pulls? Did they dyno it in 3rd gear or 4th gear, was the engine cool? My car made almost 180 hp on a relatively cool engine, so there are a lot of variables here.I see they still had the TC spike on their dyno sheet ( as pointed out to me by Scrming) so they didn't program that out, perhaps that accounts for their numbers. My car is stone stock except for Doug's 87 tune and has 9,744 miles on it. You have to draw your own conclusions, I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. I know it sounds like I'm in ASP's corner, but thats not the case, seems these aftermarket manufactures need to be sure be for they post Hp/Tq numbers, especially with these 4.0 w/ an automatic behind it. Again just my opinion here, I don't pretend to know anything more about it than the average V6 owner.