Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gears and t-lok

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Gurrilla133
1st Gear Member

Default Gears and t-lok

Alright, I am finally going to purchase gears and a t-lok. Well, I think I am. The car in this case is a 2005 V6 automatic.

I don't want to screw this up being I don't know much about these things and will have to order and bring the parts to a shop.

What exactly do I need to buy (gears, t-lok, and other parts needed for install) and where should I buy them?

And finally, will I need a custom tune right away or will I be able to use the SCT X 2 to tune it myself (gear changes and whatnot), until I am ready to go for a custom tune?

Oh what the heck, its going to be up on the lift. I want to lower the rear a bit, not the front. Maybe 3/4 to 1 inch. Any suggestions and place to buy on what I will need for that as well would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gears and t-lok

Gears and t-lok would be all you need. Someone said that I would need a new bearing kit, but I contacted my local shop and they said a bearing kit would not be necessary since I only have 9,000 miles on my car. I ordered my t-lok from www.mustangtuning.com. You can also find the gears and t-lok at www.rpmoutlet.com. Im not sure about just lowering the rear though.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Gurrilla133
1st Gear Member

Just wondering, our rear end is 7.5 inches right?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:09 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

I'm having a t-lok and gears installed next week. The shop said I'd need a bearing kit and friction modifier for the install, which they included in their quote. You will need to recalibrate your speedo for the new gears too (like with an X-cal). And, yes... 7.5 rear end.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Gurrilla133
1st Gear Member

Alright, cool. Ive got the X-cal already coming with another order and I found everything I need at a site. Thanks for all of your help!

By the way, one more question for this thread. For someone with an auto V6, which would be better, the 3.73 gears or the 4.10 gears? If it depends on a persons preference, what is the difference?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gurrilla133

Alright, cool. Ive got the X-cal already coming with another order and I found everything I need at a site. Thanks for all of your help!

By the way, one more question for this thread. For someone with an auto V6, which would be better, the 3.73 gears or the 4.10 gears? If it depends on a persons preference, what is the difference?
Everything I've read thus far has said 4.10's for the auto, and 3.73's for the manual. I think it also depends on the type of driving you do. If all you want to do is use it for racing and stuff, then 4.10's would probably be great, but if you do alot of highway driving 4.10's may keep your rpms higher than you like.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:52 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

I have an auto and I'm installing 3.73's... to give an extra kick at launch, but also to maintain decent rpm's on the highway... afterall, this is my daily driver and I really don't race. Though, I'll probably take it to the track at least once this spring or summer. With all that I've heard, it sounded like 4.10's would be revving too high during some very normal driving conditions. So, 3.73 seemed to hit the sweet spot for me.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:45 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

All the good shops near me reccomended the bearing kit regardless of miles just to be 100% sure. I decided not to take a chance and bought it with mine. But opinions vary. Not sure what the correct answer is here at 9k miles.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:04 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

All the good shops near me reccomended the bearing kit regardless of miles just to be 100% sure. I decided not to take a chance and bought it with mine. But opinions vary. Not sure what the correct answer is here at 9k miles.

I agree with Rygen here... I popped for the bearing kit...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:48 AM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Wow! I'd better hurry up with the dough to get my gears and tlok. It appears thers a minor stampede to the parts vendors. You guys leave me a set O.K.? Dang! I wonder if there's any money in picking up roadside pop cans for mods?

Quick Reply: Gears and t-lok