Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Let's Talk Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:56 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default Let's Talk Pulleys

Still an auto-nub, but I'm willing to learn. I hear a pulley system has substantial yeilds in a vehicle's HP and mileage ratings, maybe ~10HP and around 1 or 2 MPG. These pulleys seem to be going for <$300, are there any adverse effects?

Here's the one I'm looking at, and only "looking at." Don't plan on buying anything I'm uneducated in.

Link: http://www.lmperformance.com/5925/73.html

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:59 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Let's Talk Pulleys

Don't believe the claimed hp gains of the manufacturer.

Doug over at Bamachips dyno'ed the asp pulley at a got 4 rwhp/ 6 tq increase. He's putting together a package that includes the pulley and the required belt.

Read about his findings here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....topic=41791&hl

Adverse effects... from what I've heard, it's just slightly harder to turn at slow speeds.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:13 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

Don't believe the claimed hp gains of the manufacturer.

Doug over at Bamachips dyno'ed the asp pulley at a got 4 rwhp/ 6 tq increase. He's putting together a package that includes the pulley and the required belt.

Read about his findings here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....topic=41791&hl

Adverse effects... from what I've heard, it's just slightly harder to turn at slow speeds.
You're the greatest.

So only 4hp/6tq? Bah.

What of the other pulley he mentioned? The PHP Alternator pulley? I'm looking for a bang for buck per minute solution.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:18 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

I think Scrming has the alternator pulley. I know he did have the asp pulley but pulled it off ('scuse the pun). Maybe he'll chime in.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:01 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

I think Scrming has the alternator pulley. I know he did have the asp pulley but pulled it off ('scuse the pun). Maybe he'll chime in.
Actually its the other way around, he got rid of the PHP Alternator pulley and kept the ASP. Personally I am going the PHP route.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

Im not well versed in the 05 car yet, but is there a multi-pulley system available for this car? You might see better improvements if you slow the alternator and water pump a little more.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:31 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I have no problems finding ASP Pulleys, but where is this PHP Alternator pulley available? Anyone have dyno's on em? I'd hate to bother scrmng, he's been back n forth all over different mustang forums with his dynos, and I'm sure many of you have, too.

It seems Doug at bamachips has just started selling some pulleys. But they're not on the site, yet, and he hasn't gotten it on the dyno.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Here's the scoop... with the PHP pulley we seen a 3 to 5 RWHP gain. We then added the ASP crank pulley and seen no gain. Did end up with a dead battery so either the alternator pulley or the crank pulley need to go back to stock... since the alternator pulley was easier we put the stock alternator pulley back.... The PHP is not on their website... you'll need to call... it was $159 plus shipping.. Read more about the PHP here: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...htm#Alternator

Since the ASP show no gain I just couldn't get motivated to write anything about it... LOL
Old 01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

Here's the scoop... with the PHP pulley we seen a 3 to 5 RWHP gain. We then added the ASP crank pulley and seen no gain. Did end up with a dead battery so either the alternator pulley or the crank pulley need to go back to stock... since the alternator pulley was easier we put the stock alternator pulley back.... The PHP is not on their website... you'll need to call... it was $159 plus shipping.. Read more about the PHP here: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...htm#Alternator

Since the ASP show no gain I just couldn't get motivated to write anything about it... LOL
Not bad, not bad at all for $160. Definitely a tune first, then replace my dinged up bumper. [:@]

As always, I truly appreciate your help! I spent a good 30 minutes at your site there, consider me your #1 fan.

Thanks scrming!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:45 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Hmmm. brenspeed advertises 10HP with the steeda UD pulleys: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8033561289

I called them on it and shot them an email asking if they had any dynos to backup the claim (of course, using less intrusive language ). Can anyone confirm this or at least vouche for brenspeed's claim?

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Pulleys