Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Take off exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:59 AM
vistapony
2nd Gear Member

Default GT Take off exhaust question

Ok, so I just finished washing up after installing a GT take off on my 4.0. (Had to do it at night to avoid the wife's "what the hell is wrong with the one that's on it" lecture) So has anyone else installed the GT take off? It sounds fantastic, but i'm just not sure of the look. The tip seems like it sticks out too far. Does anyoen elses seem like they stick out too far and what do you think of that look?

06 Vista Blue, IUP, Pony Package, GT Take Off
Old 01-28-2006, 11:11 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: GT Take off exhaust question

Hey vistapony,

Yes the GT tip does stick out farther than the V6 muffler, which curls downs. Sometimes the clearance can be tight with the bumper. After you hear the new sound for a few days, you won't mind the longer tip. I'm sure your wife will notice the new throaty sound before she see the larger tip.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:26 PM
HAAS05

I also have a single GT takeoff muffler. I actually like the look, and think the stock mufflers look does not do our cars justice.
Please comment on the sound, and if you feel anything from the butt dino. I did.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:33 PM
danalor
1st Gear Member

Don't have the GT take-off got the JBA instead, but had to do mine at night too, LOL. I get one more package on my doorstep and I'll be sleeping in my Stang. Get all my mods shipped to work now, some wife's just don't understand!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:03 PM
vistapony
2nd Gear Member

Isn't that so true! I have actually started having EVERYTHING shipped to work as well. This weeks deliveries will include an AEM Brute Force CAI and my X-Cal 2 should be showing up. Worked with Brent at Brenspeed and can't wait to get all of that hooked up. Luckily the wife can't see a tune in the computer and she never opens my hood so I should be safe. She may just question why the hell i'm driving it so agressivly now!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:25 AM
ejnordstrom

Default RE: GT Take off exhaust questions

I just purchased new take off GT mufflers to convert my V6 / Auto to a dual exhaust system.
Couple of questions before I start the conversion.
Did you keep the Y pipe behind the cats or install new straight pipes or H pipes back from the Cats ?
Does the choice of a Y, H, or straight pipes installation make any difference on performance ?
Did you notch the rear bumper cover for the tailpipe on the drivers side? How did it go, any tips ?
Help on these questions from anyone before I do this would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:26 AM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vistapony

Isn't that so true! I have actually started having EVERYTHING shipped to work as well. This weeks deliveries will include an AEM Brute Force CAI and my X-Cal 2 should be showing up. Worked with Brent at Brenspeed and can't wait to get all of that hooked up. Luckily the wife can't see a tune in the computer and she never opens my hood so I should be safe. She may just question why the hell i'm driving it so agressivly now!

Not to divert the thread, but im about to get an intake and i was wonderin which brand to get..... AEM or C&L....... why the AEM???...... just so i can make a decision as well.

will
Old 01-29-2006, 03:59 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

here is how i did my gt take offs

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?t=1358
Old 01-29-2006, 01:23 PM
vistapony
2nd Gear Member

I chose the AEM because it has good performance over stock and I like the look of it better than the C & L. Obviously just personal preference. If you're going for maximum performance, I think most on this forum will recommend the C & L. By all counts the C & L is a high quality part that backs up it's claims. So really it boils down to what you're looking for.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afixer

here is how i did my gt take offs

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?t=1358
Hey, that's how I did mine, too--thanks to you [8D]

The only trouble I had with the single GT take off tip was the fact that there was only ONE of them Another one on the driver's side fixed it right up.

Quick Reply: GT Take off exhaust question