Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just bought an '05 v6 and i have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 03:05 AM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

Default Just bought an '05 v6 and i have a few questions

Hey all...im new to the board and i just bought a new '05 v6 Stang yesterday.
I was just wondering, what should i do to increase performance? Obviously a decent supercharger would put me from 210hp to about 315hp....but what other small mods can i make that are cheap? I want a much deeper growl, so i was planning on putting on a different exhaust tip, but should i go for a whole new performance exaust as well....how much more power would that actually give me? and which brand of exhaust or tip should i go with for the best sound? How much power would i get if i bored out the cylinders? Any help, or suggestions on performance mods would be much appreciated. Also, wheres a good place to find mods for the 4.0....im having some trouble with that as well. Thanks abunch
Old 02-05-2006, 04:08 AM
Jps78

Default RE: Just bought an '05 v6 and i have a few questions

HEY PASTOR

TO ANSWER YOUR ? A SUPERCHARGER IS AWESOME IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY BUT IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR JUST SIMPLE MODS THAN YOU SHOULD GO WITH A CAI W/ COMPUTER TUNE AFTER READING THE FORUMS FOR AWHILE YOU SHOULD GO WITH C@L CAI WITH A SCT2 XCAL TUNER. AND FOR EXHAUST I'D GO WITH A TRUE DUAL SETUP GET A H-PIPE OR A X-PIPE AND THEN A GOOD SET OF MUFFLER'S ANYTHING FROM A SET OF JBA TO A MAGNAFLOW TO A FLOWMASTER'S SHOULD BE GOOD OTHER THAN I SAY UPGRADE YOUR REAR END GET A NEW SET OF GEARS 3.73 OR 4.10 DEPENDING ON WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR AND THEN YOU SHOULD GET T-LOK DIFFERENTIAL TO SPIN BOTH YOUR TIRES FOR BETTER GRIP AND TAKE OFF.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:59 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pastor_ice43

I was just wondering, what should i do to increase performance? Obviously a decent supercharger would put me from 210hp to about 315hp....but what other small mods can i make that are cheap? I want a much deeper growl, so i was planning on putting on a different exhaust tip, but should i go for a whole new performance exaust as well....how much more power would that actually give me? and which brand of exhaust or tip should i go with for the best sound? How much power would i get if i bored out the cylinders? Any help, or suggestions on performance mods would be much appreciated. Also, wheres a good place to find mods for the 4.0....im having some trouble with that as well. Thanks abunch
A SCT X-Cal2 is a Must Have Mod in my book... The C&L CAI works well... For exhaust I've been blown away with the MRT exhaust... I currently have only a single... you can go to dual... but that is for looks and maybe sound... I dont' think there is any real significant performance gain going to a dual... Rygen is be ending that debate soon! LOL! For more info check out my webpage... dyno sheets, pics and videos...
Old 02-05-2006, 11:32 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

A SCT X-Cal2 is a Must Have Mod in my book... The C&L CAI works well... For exhaust I've been blown away with the MRT exhaust... I currently have only a single... you can go to dual... but that is for looks and maybe sound... I dont' think there is any real significant performance gain going to a dual... Rygen is be ending that debate soon! LOL! For more info check out my webpage... dyno sheets, pics and videos...
Thanks Scrming! Yes, my baby is in the shop, getting the Y pipe taken out and an X put in. With before and after dyno's of course!!! I'm not holding my breath, but I wanted to show with numbers what the difference is once and for all on the 4.0.

I concur, XCAL2 is a must, C&L CAI is really good, I think my TI CAI also came to about the same numbers as the CAL (.1 HP difference I think in favor of the C&L). And for sound and performance, MRT is it! I love my magnaflows, but there is no denying the sound and performance of the MRT. Just get a body kit to hide that bubble from the profile shot. (sorry, that is my only issue with it John! ). My web site also has some pics, dynos etc of my mods. Though I think Johns is more detailed and a better place to start.

Also, if you have an AUTO, don't go with the Diablo! It can't modify the tranny like the XCAL2. I used to have one! LOL.

For power adders, you have several choices, Nitrous, SC and TC. Here is a list of power adders:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=40330

If I go with something other than my zex, it will be Mikes turbo. I'm not convinced that the SC the way to go with the 4.0. Just my opinion, but I dont like the fact that so far, people are hitting peak boost at 6K. I'm going to wait on this one. Who knows, with some rework of the car, and going to 125 shot I may never need it, and it keeps my wear and tear down on my car as I only can use it at the track.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:00 PM
GT05

If you want a deep sound, you're going to have to do more than just a muffler tip. I wouldn't suggest a "true" dual exhaust, but a larger piped single. Get a magnaflow muffler, then run 3" piping off of a high flow cat. It will be very mellow and have a throaty sound. You could do a setup like this for $250 if you find a shop with low labor costs. I would expect 190whp and about 215wtq on the V6 mustang. Good Luck with whatever you do.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:04 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The deepest sound I have heard on these cars is a H pipe or Prochamber. Also, headers makes a world of difference on these cars for sound. Not sure about performance but the sound is still really good.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:06 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

On places to find parts, here is some online stores I have used:

www.v6mustangstuff.com
www.rpmoutlet.com (just don't believe thier HP numbers on thier combos)
Stangstore (its an ebay store, got my tlok there)
Old 02-05-2006, 01:17 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT05

If you want a deep sound, you're going to have to do more than just a muffler tip. I wouldn't suggest a "true" dual exhaust, but a larger piped single. Get a magnaflow muffler, then run 3" piping off of a high flow cat. It will be very mellow and have a throaty sound. You could do a setup like this for $250 if you find a shop with low labor costs. I would expect 190whp and about 215wtq on the V6 mustang. Good Luck with whatever you do.

I had the Magnflow... The MRT is much deeper and gave a lot better performance... The MRT is nothing short of amazing! Oh and I mention the MRT is cheaper! LOL!

http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...ng.htm#muffler

Old 02-05-2006, 01:20 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Thanks Scrming! Yes, my baby is in the shop, getting the Y pipe taken out and an X put in. With before and after dyno's of course!!! I'm not holding my breath, but I wanted to show with numbers what the difference is once and for all on the 4.0.

I concur, XCAL2 is a must, C&L CAI is really good, I think my TI CAI also came to about the same numbers as the CAL (.1 HP difference I think in favor of the C&L). And for sound and performance, MRT is it! I love my magnaflows, but there is no denying the sound and performance of the MRT. Just get a body kit to hide that bubble from the profile shot. (sorry, that is my only issue with it John! ). My web site also has some pics, dynos etc of my mods. Though I think Johns is more detailed and a better place to start.

Also, if you have an AUTO, don't go with the Diablo! It can't modify the tranny like the XCAL2. I used to have one! LOL.

For power adders, you have several choices, Nitrous, SC and TC. Here is a list of power adders:

If I go with something other than my zex, it will be Mikes turbo. I'm not convinced that the SC the way to go with the 4.0. Just my opinion, but I dont like the fact that so far, people are hitting peak boost at 6K. I'm going to wait on this one. Who knows, with some rework of the car, and going to 125 shot I may never need it, and it keeps my wear and tear down on my car as I only can use it at the track.

Welcome to the forums.
Well you know I just about smacked Scott when he suggested putting that muffler on! LOL! But after I heard it... drove it.. and we confirmed th gains on they dyno... well let's just say I don't mind the looks! Actually it's pretty well tuck up there... you really have get down the to pavement to see it.. Perhaps I should take some more pics...
Old 02-05-2006, 01:34 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Welcome to the forums.
Well you know I just about smacked Scott when you suggested putting that muffler on! LOL! But after I heard it... drove it.. and we confirmed th gains on they dyno... well let's just say I don't mind the looks! Actually it's pretty well tuck up there... you really have get down the to pavement to see it.. Perhaps I should take some more pics...
It's cool man! I love the sound of your muffler. Later down the road, I may just give it a try. I have a funny feeling I will be modding forever! But, the shape might not be the best, but she is chrome!!! Shiny and that tip looks great! Yea, if you don't mind, lets see some pics from a standing position.

Quick Reply: Just bought an '05 v6 and i have a few questions