Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

supercharger or blower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: supercharger or blower?

ORIGINAL: pastor_ice43

when im talking about a blower, i mean the thing that you would always see sticking out of the hoods of old school muscle cars....i.e. vin deisles 69 charger at the end of the fast and the furious. I knew that it was basicaly the supercharger of those days but i thought that todays actual supercharger was more sophisticated.
What you're talking about is a roots blower(which is still a supercharger). That's only going to work with a carburetor. The newer cars use centrifugal superchargers. A turbo is the most efficient type of power adder. I made a list of what's out there for the 4.0 here:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=40330
Old 02-12-2006, 04:20 PM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

cool, thanks for this list

I got a question about N2O thought. Now correct me if im wrong (i very well probably am, like i said, i always thought a super gave you more power then a turbo, and turbo's were purchased cause they were cheaper) anyways....with nitrous you have to press a button or flip a switch to activate it, and its only a temporary boost of power...in which your rwhp gains are only there during that time period. Its also something you have to constantly refill. You don't get the constant added power that you would get with a super or a turbo....say like if you wanted to smoke someone at a street light. Is that right?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:39 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

cool, thanks for this list

I got a question about N2O thought. Now correct me if im wrong (i very well probably am, like i said, i always thought a super gave you more power then a turbo, and turbo's were purchased cause they were cheaper) anyways....with nitrous you have to press a button or flip a switch to activate it, and its only a temporary boost of power...in which your rwhp gains are only there during that time period. Its also something you have to constantly refill. You don't get the constant added power that you would get with a super or a turbo....say like if you wanted to smoke someone at a street light. Is that right?
Nitrous is power that is not always available, you have to activate it. You can use it on the street with remote bottle opener, heater, etc. Personally this is the exact reason I run on juice, so I don't get tempted on the street. If you are like me and only do track racing, then nitrous is perfect for you.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:48 PM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

and how much does a refill typicaly cost? and isn't there a setup you can buy where it automaticaly activates at full throttle
Old 02-12-2006, 04:52 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

and how much does a refill typicaly cost? and isn't there a setup you can buy where it automaticaly activates at full throttle
Mine activates at 2500 via my nitrous control unit. It costs 30-50 to fill the bottle, I think scrming did the math and at 30 passes at the track a sesaon plus dyno sessions, it would take 5+ years to equal the cost of a SC/TC. Not 100% sure on what his math turned out.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:00 PM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

cool, i might just go with a nitrous set up and wait till i get my gt to dump a super into it.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

all the places here carge $2.99 per lb

so a 10lb tank costs me $30 to refill