Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Split Rim

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Mustang_man_uk

Default Split Rim

Hey there
I've just started to rub down one of my alloysfor a respray and its getting a real pain in the *** to get in and detail them properly, i was wondering if i could take the spokes out( spokes are seperate from the rim) while the tyre was still on as i cant really afford to get all the tyres took off again. I have spoken to a few people but knowbody seems to know wheather it is a good idea with the tyre on. Some suggested that it could buckle the wheel etc etc.

any help would be greatly appriciated

thanks
Ben
Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Split Rim

Not sure I understand what you have there. Are you saying that you can separate the outter rim portion that holds the tire (or tyre as you blokes say ) and leave the hub/spokes part still attached to the car?

Can you put up some pics? I would think this would be OK as I understand it as the tire should not put any twisting or uneven pressure on rim. Not sure I would want to mess with the connection bolts that hold it all together tho.

Do I have it right?

Jazzer
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Mustang_man_uk

yeah i can take the 'tyre' away from the 'hub'.

Basically what the ytyre is connected to comes away from the spokes that are connected to the hub....is that a better way of explaining?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't see a reason you cannot do this. I think it would be a good idea to contact the manufacturer and ask what they think.

You will want to know the re-torque specs anyway.

Jazzer
Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Mustang_man_uk

Ok thanks for that Jazzer. Mow i guess all i have to do is try and find the make. lol

Cheers for the help

Ben
Old 06-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

G'day mate..... oh, that is Aussie [8D]

Let me know what happens and your welcome

Jazzer
Old 08-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Mustang_man_uk

Ok so i did a bit more research into this ( i rang the garage up). they said under no surcumstances should the centres be removed from the rim, even with the tyre deflated. They quoted £10 to remove all 4tyres and £40 to put them back on.

Any way to cut a long story short i ignored them and did it anyway.

I deflated the tyre so there was no pressure, checked they torque setting on the nuts then stripped it. took some hammering to get it out and a lot moor to get it back in. I was talking to the guy at the spray shop and he reccomended some lock tight when the wheels were finished just to be safe.

The wheel has been back together for about two weeks( not painted yet i need the car at the mo) and there was no problem what so ever.

It might not be very clever but it seems to have worked for me

Old 08-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Nice to hear back, as questions like this come up and never if it worked or not

Good luck and post some pics as I am curious.

Jazzer
Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Mustang_man_uk

Well i have planned in a few weeks to take it off the road and get it finished, as i wont be needing the car much then...... so i will get some photos of the rims split before and after painting hopefully that might help some others out then.

I'm debating now, wether i should get the tyres taken off as the rim needs polishing, they have been clear lacquered over the polished alloy, but it looks like brake fluid or something has gotten under the lacquer. I can do it with the tyres on but obviously would be a better job with the tyres off and i wouldnt be able to lacquer it properly afterwards [&:]
Old 08-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Mustang_man_uk

OK i promised photos and here they are......apologies in advance for the poor quality but its the best i could do at the time.

So what you have are the front (right) rear (left) alloys together without the tyres. Then its the centre (spokes) after seperation from the rim, you might just be able to see where i started rubbing it down on the front before i got bored.
Finally i thought you might like to see the spacers that were on the back after i cleaned them up and sprayed them. They are 5mm thick and there was two on each of the rear hubs making it a 10mm spacer altogether.

I will post more pictures as i go. Hopefully i should be getting the centers back from the powder coaters sometime this week and i should have the rims polished up pretty soon but i will post soon as.
Attached Thumbnails  Split Rim-wheels.jpg    Split Rim-wheels-2.jpg    Split Rim-wheels3.jpg    Split Rim-wheels4.jpg  

Quick Reply: Split Rim