Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Split Rim

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:23 AM
Mustang_man_uk

Thumbs up

Ok so the centers came back the other day and they look a whole lot better than they did before they are sat in the boot (trunk ) waiting for me to finish rubbing down the rums.

Had a brainwave yesterday to take them down to work and put them in the bead blaster while there is noone there over the holidays. Took about an hour for each wheel now im in the process of painting them. Have one in etch primer waiting topcoat. another has got the top coat but the paint was so dry...... i might need to laquer them now.

i will post pics after i get the next one done.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Mustang_man_uk

ok its ben ages since i started the process of refurbing my wheels.

Long story short.
The paint and laquer reacted so badly together that after so much wasted time rubbing down and painting over and over. I got fed up and had the whole set sandblasted and powder coated silver. I built the wheels up and they looked pretty good, got the tyres on and got the car on the road again.
The bad bit.
The car had done about 20 miles when a stupid *** boy racer in his crap thing thought it would be good to race on the wrong side of the road towards a roundabout. My car ended up on the kerb putting a 90 degree bend in the passengers fron alloy. not to mention slight suspension damage. finished about 2 inch off a brick wall .
He drove off

The good bit.
had the wheels repaired and re painted again. Found out that they are WORKS VS and very expensive over here so glad they were repairable. While the car was off the road i had a new exhaust. nothin special, duel exhaust it was goin cheep and i needed one.

And i followed the advice from someone elses thread i read and but the spacer on the accelerator cable to take up the slack. Now back on the road thank god.

so in summary to the original question i asked yes you can take your rims to bits with the tyres on....... but dont its not worth the hassle..... lol