Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Widest Tire For Saleen PJ Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 AM
NeoGeo630
1st Gear Member

Default Widest Tire For Saleen PJ Wheels

What's the widest tire I can get for the Saleen PJ wheels? The front are 19x9 and the back are 19x10. Currently, I have 275/35/19 on for both front and back but the tires seem to stick out more in the front than the back. I'd like to try and get tires that stick out the same amount or wider in the back.

Last edited by NeoGeo630; 10-01-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Two issues in play here. First is tire width:

A 9" wheel will accept no larger than a 275 by most manufacturers. You will get some variation based on profile and such. A 10" wheel will generally go no larger than 295's. I know the Eagle F1-GS D3 has a 305 acceptable fitment, but DON'T recommend that tire as it is overrated, IMO.

Second is off-set. The fronts will generally stick out wider on most cars, for some reason. I had this issue on my car and installed 1/2" spacers to bring the rear wheel outward to REALLY improve the looks. This also has at least a microscopic aid in handling, I'm sure

If you go with spacers, you will be best served to install longer/stronger studs to support the stress applied by moving wheel outward. You will also need longer studs to gain adequate threads on lug-bolts. While you are there, I FURTHER recommend going Gorilla locking lugs on all five studs of each wheel.

Jazzer

EDIT: Do a little research as I think the Watts-Link may have some issues going wider tires out back. Speaking of which, have you had the Saleen warranty upgraded Watts-Link installed?

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 10-01-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Oh, BTW, head over to the Saleen, Roush and Boss section of MF's. Several are over there regularly and may have some insight if you have further quesions.

Jazzer
Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 AM
NeoGeo630
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info Jazzer. I actually do not have a PJ Mustang (wish I did) but rather a stock '08 GT with just the PJ wheels. I am considering using spacers for the back to achieve the look I want. This will save me money as I'd rather not have to get new tires. I was just worried about using spacers since so many people are against them and say they could possibly do some damage.
Would you happen to know which spacers are the best? Which brand of spacers are you using?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am using ones like the Maximum Motorsports part # MMWS-4.

I am certain you will need to replace your lug-bolts to use this wide or more. I have over 1" of thread-depth for lugs so no safety issues as bolts are also extra-strength. I used ***THESE*** but not sure if they are the proper ones for YOUR car being an S197.

There are many manufacturers of spacers, but I would ask you to stay away from the style pictured ***HERE*** on the homepage of this website. This is a good company as I had them custom manufacture the spacers I am currently using, but have NO bolts only holes.

I think the people having concerns or damage did NOT replace lug-bolts and likely stripped a stud due to lack of remaining threads after install of spacers. There is no doubt that the studs will have additional stress applied as you are moving the wheel outward. This is why I went with the Moroso extra-heavy bolts. I HIGHLY recommend you have the bolts professionally replaced by a machine shoppe. The axles will most likely need to be removed to complete installation. This WILL effect your warranty so you should talk to Ford prior and see if they will install the studs so your warranty will remain intact.

This is a bit of work and will cost you some $$$ so you may just want to live with your current situation, it is your call

Jazzer
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Hey Jazzer,
I thought the 10" wide rear wheels could hold 305s? I know the stock Saleen 20x10 wheels can hold 305s (and Saleen mounts them with 305s on the Extremes). The offset on the 20x10" wheels is 50mm.

I just checked http://www.s281sc.com/ and it indicates that the PJ wheels have the same offset as the 20" stock Saleen wheels. So I guess 305s should work??

I plan on putting 305s on my rear wheels shortly...

--Stu
Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 PM
NeoGeo630
1st Gear Member

I checked out the 1/2" spacers for the S197 on the Maximum Motorsports site. It sucks that they are not hub-centric. I wonder if using those will cause any shaking in my steering.
Also, do all wheels need hub-centric rings? I've been wondering this lately because on certain horribly paved roads I can feel really bad shaking in my steering wheel. I'm not sure if this is just from the road being really crappy, because of the 35 series tires I'm running, or if I'm in need of some sort of hub-centric ring which were not supplied with my wheels?

Last edited by NeoGeo630; 10-08-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

NeoGeo, I am not sure if my spacers are hub centric, but I don't think so. Honestly, I am not sure how much it matters as the studs will hold them close enough and not a balance issue relative to the wheel/tire itself. I don't see vibration as an issue here, but someone with better understanding of this issue may chime in and add some info here.

Stu, if 305's are rated for a 10" wheel, it is due to manufacturers approval (not that some have ignored them and installed anyway). The off-set will have no bearing on weather you can fit a 305 or not, just some clearance issues of tire/wheel to fenders and such. Generally, a 285~295 is largest tire approved for a 10" wheel. I know Mickey runs them as he picked up some Eagle F1 GS-D3's. I am sure there are other tire makers that approve them, but I think it is too wide either way, just my opionion though. Seems to me the Saleen Watts-Link can be an issue with the 305's, but not sure. I would start by checking clearance on existing tires and then comparing with the dimensions of the 305's on a 10" wheel and see what you have.

Jazzer