Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

All seasonVs. summer tire question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM
kev152
1st Gear Member

Default All seasonVs. summer tire question?

I'm just looking for an opinion...is there much of a difference between the All season and summer tires for anything other than track use?

Just thinking for driving around town, and occasionally hitting the gas hard from a standstill....will I notice any difference? a little difference? or a lot of a difference between the Pirelli 245/45 stock All seasons that come a the stock 2011 GT vs upgrading to 255/40 summer tires?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

A/S tires will not hook like a good Summer performance tire, so would recommend you have two sets of wheels, if you want great grip in Summer and can afford it.

Read my Choosing a new tire thread and check out tread patterns and UTQG ratings for the fundamental differences between tires.

Jazzer
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Dredd

Originally Posted by kev152
I'm just looking for an opinion...is there much of a difference between the All season and summer tires for anything other than track use?

Just thinking for driving around town, and occasionally hitting the gas hard from a standstill....will I notice any difference? a little difference? or a lot of a difference between the Pirelli 245/45 stock All seasons that come a the stock 2011 GT vs upgrading to 255/40 summer tires?
Having driven a 2011 GT with Summer tires and mine with the standard A/S tires I have to say the difference for normal recreational driving is minimal. I find that on any car, the tire choice has a lot to do with how you drive. If you're heavy on the gas you will spin the A/S tires but I can also spin the Summer tires just as easily. The biggest difference is in cornering grip IMO. At least down in FL where the roads have lots of seashells in the asphalt. The summer tires hold better at speed when making a turn vs the A/S tires, but not enough so as to make me purchase summer tires at a premium with no mileage warranty.

If maximum grip is what you need then the summer tires will be the best bet, but if you don't race and don't intend to "drive it like you stole it" then the A/S tires will work fine. As I said, the difference is very slight but depends a lot on how you drive. I can spin any tire short of drag slicks but if you learn how to do a take off with the A/S tires it's not bad in the get up and go department for 99% of drivers and situations.