Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the stock shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Replacing the stock shifter

Well, I've got to say that the stock shifter is a decent shifter.

I drove my grandmother's Saturn around today to try and diagnose problems with it (she claims that the car won't start and has a lot of hesitation, and that it's running "hot", when we've replaced the motor and put a brand new radiator in). Well, I went to go grab the shifter, and the stock shifter was so stinkin' high I felt like I was pulling on the e-brake every time I shifted from 1st to 2nd and from 3rd to 4th.

The stock Mustang shifter is WORLDS above that shifter in the way of throw...Although, I'd be interested in seeing what a Hurst or MGW shifter would feel like.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Replacing the stock shifter

ORIGINAL: Fletch

See all of these mods sound freaking cool. But I'm such a wimp when it comes to voiding my valuable warranty. Anyway you can get a dealer to install the shifter (even though I hear that it's really easy). Would this mean anything if there comes a time (knock on wood) to replace the transmission?

Mine only has 8xx miles on it, so I'm still kinda on the edge.

~Fletch~

Hey man, you can most definitly have the dealer install the Hurst for you, I did. You just need to ask. Some dealers will make excuses to worm out of backing up the install. I bought my Hurst at Brenspeed for like $175.00. WhenI asked my dealer how much the exact same shifter they had on the accesories board cost, I was told $345.00!!!!!!!!!!! Plus install..

Everything in the accesories room was supposed to be from Ford Racing, and they claimed the Hurst was Ford built. When I questioned them on why the huge price I was told they paid like $280.00 from Ford.

Long story short, I took my invoice from Brenspeed to the Generall Manager and asked how they could justify such a huge mark up, and then call it a Ford Racing Product? They now have a new man in the Ford Racing parts room, and they gladly installed my Hurst for $60.00 shop labor. In fact Ford racing sends them the Hurst shifter in its own box inside another box from Ford, why Im not sure but they wont tryany more $345.00 shifter sales.

Warranty on the shifter its self is from Hurst, warranty on the install is from Ford and the Hurst shifter is added to the cars parts list. This way nobody is going to blame me for a bad install even though a "cave man could do it"
[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/4905025CBB554FF2ABECB88F40D2912C.jpg[/IMG]