Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me of D-Specs and other parts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Default Convince me of D-Specs and other parts.

I am lowering my ride and changing the suspension and after much research I have my list and started buying parts.
But, my questions are:
1. Do I really “need” D-specs and the UCA bracket?
2. How much will D-Specs change the handling?
3. How much difference will the UCA bracket make?
4. Is it necessary to replace the upper strut mount with a heavy duty metal plate type?

I am of the options that if I am going change the suspension anyways, why not go ahead and do it all.
However, D-specs are $530, UCA bracket is $136, and the upper strut mount is $280 plus labor to have them installed.
So that is an extra $1000 on top of what I am doing, is it really worth it?

My car is a DD that I want to handle good and next spring I would like to get into some autocross which is why I considered the D-Specs.
So please let me hear your opinions; any direct experience would be awesome.
Below is my laundry of what I have and what I need.

I have the following parts:[/b]
BMR springs, drop 1.25”F/1.75”R
BMR LCA relocation brackets
BMR adjustable Panhard with poly/poly bushings
BMR adjustable street LCAs with poly/spherical
BMR camber bolts (sell these if I go Steeda upper strut mount)
FORD stock upper strut mounts (sell these if I go Steeda upper strut mount)

What else I need to get:
[/b]BMR Tubular UCA with spherical/poly bushing
BMR UCA bracket
BMR Panhard support brace
BMR rear sway bar
Tokico D-Specs

Does anyone know of a GOOD performance shop in Richmond, VA?
Thanks so much people, you are the best.
P.S. Sorry for the novel, but I had a lot to say.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Convince me of D-Specs and other parts.

No one, thoughts, comments, opinions, cuss me out for posting such a huge post?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

you mother******!! i have absolutely no knowledge[&:]
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I have every thing you listed in your post. I also have the bump steer correction Imo the D-specs are worth it because over time your stocked shocks ride will get worse I found out because I had my car lowered before they even made the D-specs. You can adjust them for what ever ride you prefer myself I like the handling of them at 2 turns past full hard it is a little stiff ride but man it can corner. If you look at the stocked upper strut mounts they are very cheap when I pulled my D-Specs apart on one side once the damn bearings fell out of it. The HD duty strut mount is made the way Ford should have you will have no regrets once you see the HD strut mounts in person. I live in Chesterfield the best place to go is Thurston Spring in Richmond off of commerce for any suspension work. As far as performance shops I go to http://dtpracing.com/in Chesapeake there is no better place to go in my opinion. The upper strut mount is very easy to install I would do it myself if I was you. The hardest thing to install is the uca very much a pain in the a** it's veryhard to reach and you alsohave to take out the rear seat to get to the top bolt.You have to torquedown the through bolts with not much room to get a wrench in there. I did not install this till I got my one piece drive shaft.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I have the D-specs and love them. I got the Eibach springs to lower the car at the same time I got the shocks. I didn't have to buy anything else. The handling is great and you can adust them to your specs. I didn't change the UCA at the time, but I'm going to just to fine tune the pinion angle. I went to NC after they were installed and drove on one of the curvious roads I have ever driven and took them faster than I ever have. You can't go wrong with the D-specs.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmschlatt
LOL Thanks man.

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

I have every thing you listed in your post. I also have the bump steer correction Imo the D-specs are worth it because over time your stocked shocks ride will get worse I found out because I had my car lowered before they even made the D-specs. You can adjust them for what ever ride you prefer myself I like the handling of them at 2 turns past full hard it is a little stiff ride but man it can corner. If you look at the stocked upper strut mounts they are very cheap when I pulled my D-Specs apart on one side once the damn bearings fell out of it. The HD duty strut mount is made the way Ford should have you will have no regrets once you see the HD strut mounts in person. I live in Chesterfield the best place to go is Thurston Spring in Richmond off of commerce for any suspension work. As far as performance shops I go to http://dtpracing.com/in Chesapeake there is no better place to go in my opinion. The upper strut mount is very easy to install I would do it myself if I was you. The hardest thing to install is the uca very much a pain in the a** it's veryhard to reach and you alsohave to take out the rear seat to get to the top bolt.You have to torquedown the through bolts with not much room to get a wrench in there. I did not install this till I got my one piece drive shaft.
Thanks for the post, what is the bumpsteer issue anyways?
I have read some on the subject but have not narrowed down the issue.

I did a quick Google of Thurston Spring and they appear to be all around suspension shop.
Would understand the needs of a performance application, know how to tune D-specs and suspension, did they do your work for you?
Any strut mount recommendations?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

ORIGINAL: cmschlatt
LOL Thanks man.

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

Thanks for the post, what is the bumpsteer issue anyways?
I have read some on the subject but have not narrowed down the issue.

I did a quick Google of Thurston Spring and they appear to be all around suspension shop.
Would understand the needs of a performance application, know how to tune D-specs and suspension, did they do your work for you?
Any strut mount recommendations?

Here is Steeda's definition Bumpsteer is a change in toe* angle caused by the suspension moving up or down. Bumpsteer is built into the geometry of the suspension and steering system, and has nothing to do with turning the steering wheel. The effect of bumpsteer is for the wheel to toe-in or toe-out when the suspension moves up or down. This toe change or “steering” occurs any time the suspension moves, whether it is from body roll, brake-dive, or hitting a bump in the road. Bumpsteer is undesirable because the suspension is steering the car instead of the driver.
You adjust the D-Specson the top of strut or shock in the engine bay or the trunk from full hard to 7-1/2 turn counter clockwise soft. I have had the Tokico's for over 2 years and they work very well. If you are asking if I think you should buy the heavy strut mounts I would say definitely yes. I had a real problem with my struts mounts popping before the install. I forgot to tell you I also installed end links to. I figured I would do all My suspension work at once so I would not have to go through the hassle of another $75 alignment which I already have haddone 3 times.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:18 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

1. Do I really “need” D-specs and the UCA bracket?
No, but they are damn nice!

2. How much will D-Specs change the handling?
Quite a bit, though it depends on how you choose to adjust them. In addition to better valving, the D-specs are adjustable, so you can optimize your setup for drag or for road racing or simply for comfort depending on how you set them.

3. How much difference will the UCA bracket make?
Not a huge difference, though it does help firm up the rear.Iusually suggest this part if you are making a lot more HP than stock (blower, turbo, or Nitrous). On the other hand, if you've already got the rear end apart for other parts, it certainly can't hurt to put it in there. If you're already paying someone to install the UCA, then throw this bad boy on there too.

4. Is it necessary to replace the upper strut mount with a heavy duty metal plate type?
Not at all. Save your $$ for something more useful.

What else I need to get:
[/b]BMR Tubular UCA with spherical/poly bushing
BMR UCA bracket
BMR Panhard support brace
BMR rear sway bar
Tokico D-Specs
Not a bad list of parts overall. I would say in order of most important onward:

1) Definatley the rear sway bar
2)D-specs
3) Panhard support
4) UCA & Bracket

A quick note: I'm still around, if anyone wants to ask questions or chat just Email me. I'm still a little busy to browse the forums, but I'm happy to chat.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
Not at all. Save your $$ for something more useful.
I am sure it isn't necessary but does it help or is it a big waist of $$$?

I want to have all of this done at once so it is setup and over with; Iam not into multiple trips the shop. [8D]

I pmed CrazyAl and asked him to check this thread out and he showed up; thanks to CrazyAl and RICVA05 and all the others for the help. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]