Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:21 AM
ajtofelfa

Default Convertible opinions needed

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a 05 Mustang. I was thinking about a convertible but I need to know a few things before actually going ahead with it. First, this car will be a daily driver. Even in winter. So how is the top? Is it durable enough to handle frost and does it keep warm air in and cold air out? Second, how bad is wind noise at speeds around 110-130 mph?

I can't walk into a showroom and ask the dealer or check the car personally, as I'm in Hungary and Mustangs are not available here officially.

Thanks for the input.

Gabor
Old 04-18-2005, 06:34 PM
ajmstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible opinions needed

I had a 01 Convertible V6 and I drove it all year round. It was my first convertible and I loved it. There is a little noise but not much and the roof have a layer of material inside so it was not really cold.

I have an 05 GT hardtop and the reason I did not get the convertible was because it just does not do the retro look justice ( roofline ). If that does not bother you then go for the convertible.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:34 PM
wwalk777

I found my new vert tg be very quite. The top is not just a rag top it is constructed very well I think you would be pleased. As far as driving it in weather, I live in Utah and although I've only had it through two brief snow storms it's preformed much better then I expected.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

I've owned 2 convertibles in the past 6 years (Mazda Miata and a BMW M3). In both cases, the tops showed significant wear in 3 years of daily use, garage kept at both ends of my commute. In South Florida, I never had to deal with snow, but I imagine snow/ice would accelerate the wear/tear on a convertible top.

I think that road noise in a convertible with the top up even at 70mph is going to be annoying once the honeymoon is over, frankly; it certainly contributed with my decision to get a coupe this time.

Other -tives of a convertible are:
(1) hard to load up the car with DVD/Playstation/NAV when it's easy to break into a convertible
(2) convertibles are heavier than the equivalent coupe, so less power/weight
(3) hard to track a convertible as most road courses won't allow them w/o roll bar
(4) you will get caught in the rain with the top down

Just my $0.02
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
05vert
1st Gear Member

I'd like to address these points one at a time!

1) If you want all that stuff buy an Escalade and pimp it out
2) The Mustang is supposed to cut down on the weight issue

"Even with a soft top, the profile of the vehicle remains similar - and with the top down, the 2005 Mustang's striking design feels natural, as if it were always intended to be a convertible. Ford maintains that the coupe was, indeed, designed with the convertible in mind, and it shows. According to Phil Martens, group vice president for product creation, the convertible version adds only 120 lbs to the weight of the Mustang - a manageable weight difference made possible by the already sturdy nature and stiffness of the coupe."

3) If you're that concerned with putting your car on a track, you're probably not considering a convertible anyway
4) Getting caught in the rain with the top down can be fun. Hit the accelerator and you barely feel like you're getting wet!

Just my $0.02.....get the convertible and have fun!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:37 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Convertibles are for summer driving with the top down

I've owned a convertible for 20 years and I try hard not to drive them in bad weather. I use a 4 wheel drive Ford Truck for that.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:39 AM
Exilenla
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05vert

I'd like to address these points one at a time!

1) If you want all that stuff buy an Escalade and pimp it out
2) The Mustang is supposed to cut down on the weight issue

"Even with a soft top, the profile of the vehicle remains similar - and with the top down, the 2005 Mustang's striking design feels natural, as if it were always intended to be a convertible. Ford maintains that the coupe was, indeed, designed with the convertible in mind, and it shows. According to Phil Martens, group vice president for product creation, the convertible version adds only 120 lbs to the weight of the Mustang - a manageable weight difference made possible by the already sturdy nature and stiffness of the coupe."

3) If you're that concerned with putting your car on a track, you're probably not considering a convertible anyway
4) Getting caught in the rain with the top down can be fun. Hit the accelerator and you barely feel like you're getting wet!

Just my $0.02.....get the convertible and have fun!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Mind you in Hungry it is bloody freezin in the winter, but if you are ble to afford to bring an '05 Mustang over there, I am gonna venture to say that you surely can afford another set of wheels for those winter months.

As for me GT -ST I have a problem with the interior lining getting hung up on the top corner of the back seat on the drivers side...anyone else having this issue.

Cheers

Brian
Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 AM
Cambria

I have an 05 Convertible Gt. I can't speak about driving in the snow because I live in CA so I wouldn't know. But when the car was taken up to 110 miles an hour, there wasn't as loud as expected. Ford really built this car right, and yes it's a tiny bit slower than the coupe because of the weight different.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:41 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

I just got the convertible too. and i too live in california (if you live where the weather is bad WHY even buy a nice car?) Only concern i have is noise when the top is up. I like to make cell calls when in my car and on the freeway its a bit noisy cause you can hear passing cars and wind thru the top. but nothing beats driving with the top down on a warm day... even on a cold night with the heat on you can drive with the top down... what a GREAT experience that is!

-stick