Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Challenger vs Shelby Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:32 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Challenger vs Shelby Review

ORIGINAL: lieu910

ORIGINAL: zkiller

it a big fat whale.
At least the Camaro will be fast....
Now here's a funny statement. The Challenger is a big fat whale? Really...because it weighs a whole 100lbs more than the GT500. even funnier is the 'at least the Camaro will be fast" remark.

Newsflash. That Camaro - if it even sees production since it just got pushed back again, will weigh almost as much as the GT500, and with the 400hp LS3, you can expect performance on par with theChallenger. Any difference will be discretionary.

On topic,I own an SRT8. Same transas the Challenger. There is ZERO difference in performance in autostick. Moreover, it's very surprising more people don't keep up with the fact that the 09's will have 3.91 gears and a 6-speed.
The Challenger is 220 pounds more than the GT500.He wasonly comparing 08 to 08 and not 08 to 09.He is only stating that Dodge put in 3.06 gears and only offers automatic. Most people on this forum keep up with Mustangs. I think it is great that Dodge is offering higher gears and a manual for the gear heads that like them. They will also suffer in the gas mileage department as well. If my memory serves me right, the Challenger is rated 17 HWY and the GT500 is rated 20 HWY. I know that is not much difference but when the higher gears go in, I am betting the gas mileage will drop to 15 or less depending on the final drive ratio.

We are not here bashing the Challenger. This is just one persons opinion on his experience with a Challenger. Most people here love the looks of the Challenger but has not been able to drive one. We all welcome the American Muscle Car competition once again. I sincerely hope that Dodge improves on a strong foundation that the Challenger is on. As far as the Camaro goes, I have no idea but I will eventually learn more as the time gets closer to release just as did about the Challenger but I still don't know everything.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Truth is, Dodge and Chevy have missed the boat. Their inability to get a platform to the public no sooner then now will be their doom. Toss on the fact that $4.00 plus gas is here to stay for the forseeable future and you can start playing taps for them right now. I'm laying odds that GM pulls the plug on the Camaro due to the soaring gas costs. The Mustang thrives because it has the ability to sell boat loads of V6 models. The Mustang has consistently outsold the Camaro and Firebird combined. All of us GT owners owe our fellow V 6 owners a debt of gratitude. Because without their purchases, Ford would have ceased production of the Mustang along time ago.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:01 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

+1 on chevy and dodge may have missed the boat. in fact as I stated in other posts, until I see the camaro, I will not believe the hype. the challenger is ok, I for one am not a big fan of the look or anything about it really....but again...I have never been a big fan of dodge, chrysler plymouth etc with exception to the old cuda's and roadrunners of yesteryear....hey good luck to dodge and their sale of the new line...I like to see car companies compete and come up with new lines...let the comparisons begin....I tell you what though...I would still rather have a good car discussion on american muscle cars rather than arguing what twin turbo nissan will beat what nitrous honda....not being a douche here....just I like to see these discussions rage on about the big v-8 muscle cars rather than the the modern day 4-banger vs v-8 arguments.....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck
I would still rather have a good car discussion on american muscle cars rather than arguing what twin turbo nissan will beat what nitrous honda....not being a douche here....just I like to see these discussions rage on about the big v-8 muscle cars rather than the the modern day 4-banger vs v-8 arguments.....
Ask and you shall recieve. Look for American Muscle Mafia forum coming up in about a month or less. The administrators of shlebymafia.com and blackvertmafia.com is putting that site together as we speak. They will have current and old muscle car discussions.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dschmink

they got the looks right, but it's pretty sad a slightly modified gt could beat the challenger
According to this video, the Bullitt lost to it by a very small margin;

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125968
Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

the challenger weighs in around 4100 pounds - that's more than the 70 challenger - that's more than my b-body (same platform as the e-bodies in 71, but larger trunk and fenders are flared-out. if you look at a side by side pic of a 70 vs 08 challenger, the new one is enormous compared to it. the mopars of the day were muscle cars, notthe smaller pony car variety - intermediate bodies with large motors (they are HUGE by todays standards). Yet, my car ispushin 4000 pounds and only slightly modded drivetrain, upgraded susupension, and modern tires, will do a 5.0 0-60 and i get about 10 mpg with it. the new challenger is 4.7 seconds with the auto (why is that not "fast"?) and gets 15 or so mpgs- maybe that's not impressivecompared to a viper or a vette - or maybe even a mustang, but the challenger is a car that can actually be used. that's one downside to the stang isthat it isso small - i sat in the back seat and was hittin my head on the roof (and i'm only 5-10)plusthere's barely enough room in the trunk to put anything. the other thing i don't get is the hate about the automatic and the open rear end. that is typical 'old school' mopar. the TF727 automatics were quicker than the 4 speeds, and most cars didn't have a sure-grip (t-lok in ford terms), so most mopars are equipped similarly to the new challenger

i don't think dodge and chevy missed it yet - but they definitely could have been quicker about it. car enthusiasts could care less about the price of gas, really. if you want it and can afford it, the gas shouldn't be a problem to afford if you're not using it as a commuter car. the challenger is an awesome car. mopars are my favs, but i'm a car enthusiast, so i like em all.if i can swing it, i'll get one, but i have some major plans for the 71, so i probably won't unless i could get a GREAT deal on one.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 AM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Dodge hasn't lost out yet. There are alot of die hard MOPAR people out there that believe in their product just like we believe in the Mustangs. It is true that Mustangs have not missed a production like Dodge and Chevy and that is thanks to everyone who has always believed in the Mustang to keep it going strong from day one. Now Chevy on the other hand has not released their product for production yet and the longer they wait the more disappointed they Chevy people will be. They need to come out with flawless Camaro to help make up for the additional wait that they have put on their buyers. My question would be, is the production car going to really look like the concept after all this time or is the concept already outdated?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

ORIGINAL: Cal26Stang

motortrend rated the challenger srt8 ahead of the shelby gt500
They also complained about the "noisy supercharger", as if it whines all the time during regular city cruising...

And some of you make me LOL saying the Challenger SRT8 isn't fast, when its less than a half second off the GT500 in automatic, long gear trim. Time will tell when the 6 speed 3.91 rolls out.