Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street legal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyask
Here is your setup

1. Whipple NON intercooled
2. Catted MAGAFLOW X with your choice of Catback
3. 3.73 Gears
4. Damn good tune !
5. Extra tires cause youll be having to much fun ! Thats all your need TRUST ME ! And its all legal in cali! Even to pass smog youll be fine !
why 3.73 gears? why not go big and go 4.10? or does 4.10 scew with something that wont pass smog in cali? cause i was planning on getting 4.10's
Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

4:10s are great ! I have em ! But if you get FI youll run out of gear on the freeway if you EVER want to open her up ! Trust me 3:73s if your going FI if not 4:10's all the way !
Old 04-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

o, ok, yea i wa planning on a FI down the line, but thats not for a while, and plus, gears are only a couple hundred, its not that bigga waste to me if i have buy 4.10's then later 3.73's
Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodger5
Hey i dont want to lose to much mpg so what gears are good and why whats the best to have i drive my car to work mon thu friday. what gears are best ?
First of all, you are aware you do not have to smog a new car in California for 6 years, right? You will not need a smog until 2015!

Second, I can tell you now, that if you are worried about MPG, then modding this particular car may not be right for you. I don't mean that you can't mod and not lose mpg, what I mean is if the 1 or 2 dollars extra a week are a big concern for someone, then modding of any kind that may void their warranty is a bad idea IMO.

Truth is, there are a lot of FAST stangs out now and keeping a warranty and mpg - the simple fact is you are never going to be 'fast' - so don't worry about it and just do a couple bolt on's that make you feel good. Go for looks and sound is my opinion and feel good about your car. I honestly don't think you are need real 'performance' based on what you have said.

You have to 'pay to play' - and anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or hasn't modded their cars as much as they claim...

It's new, get a CAI and tune, some 3.73's or 4.10's, and some other minor bolt-ons and enjoy your car for awhile...
Old 04-07-2009, 08:41 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Modaddict,

So what you are saying is that if I move to California with the mods in my sig, I won't have to get it emissions tested until 2012? Or is this just for cars purchased and titled in California?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UrS4
Modaddict,

So what you are saying is that if I move to California with the mods in my sig, I won't have to get it emissions tested until 2012? Or is this just for cars purchased and titled in California?

Any change of ownership, title, out of state, out of country car has to be smog checked. If your car was originally from and titled in CA then yes it would 5-6 years before it would become due for a smog check. But since your coming into CA it must be checked.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

a few more things to consider:

Registration fees are going up, as is our sales taxes (up to 9.75 in some places!) gas tax, etc.
DMV offices aren't open on Saturdays any more so the lines to register that out-of -state car will take all day.
Cops are issuing tickets for all violations as part of a revenue generating venture! They are also issuing tickets at meters very aggressively.
Her's more fun facts:
"California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards."

"When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification"

http://dmv.ca.gov/

And please don't think you can bribe a smog tester to pass you. Fines range from up to $1,000 for the car owner and $100,000 for the shop owner!
http://www.smogtips.com/smogcheckfraud.cfm