Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with noises all over the car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default Please help with noises all over the car!

my rattling began ever since i installed my longtube headers. Once i finally had all the rubbing issues fixed these issues began........

*loud clunk(in the rear) began to happen sometimes when i either start the car, close the door of the car, or hop into the car when the car is cold.

*popping sound when i turn the wheel getting into and out of parking spots(only issue that occurred before LT install)

*swooshing sound whenever i step on the gas from a stop sounding like its coming from my auto tranny.

*crazy weird whirling/high pitch/sqeaky sound coming from my driver side rear......

All this adds up to me absolutely HATING driving my car.....i dont even know how to begin to fix these problems.... If anyone has any advice, i would really appreciate the input.

BTW i have Spohn LCAs and adjustable panhard bar, pro kit, and d specs if it matters.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

The whoosh sound you hear when stepping on the gas is probably a cold air intake if you have one. The whirling noise is most likely gear whine. I didnt notice mine until i changed my control arms out and i have poly bushings. I imagine that with a rod end or two that the gear noise would be unbearable.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

no worries its american muscle not luxury.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
The whoosh sound you hear when stepping on the gas is probably a cold air intake if you have one. The whirling noise is most likely gear whine. I didnt notice mine until i changed my control arms out and i have poly bushings. I imagine that with a rod end or two that the gear noise would be unbearable.
The whooshing sound is not the CAI because its a different sound. CAI has a sucking sound and this sound is more like something when you jump up and down on a car causing the shocks to make the depression sound of it squishing up and down, but this is coming from my tranny when i step on the gas(note it started after my LT install)

Also the whirling sound shouldnt be gear whine because i have not changed my gears and it happens when i go over bumps..
Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackS197
no worries its american muscle not luxury.
true, but this has gotten to the point of huge annoyance.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

grab the long tube header piping and shake it around hard. That may isolate the header clunking.

the popping sounds like a tsb issue

Check the midpipe and mufflers to see they are not loose or anything either.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

The popping sound when turning the wheel is probably the tie rods.
I had that problem before, had them replaced under warranty.

I don't know if this is relevant, but after installing my Kooks, the whole exhaust system is hanging so low now that scrapes at places where it did not scrape before the headers. And my driver's side over axle pipe is rubbing against the panhard brace causing an annoying rattle. But I'm getting it all fixed tomorrow at a custom exhaust shop.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
grab the long tube header piping and shake it around hard. That may isolate the header clunking.

the popping sounds like a tsb issue

Check the midpipe and mufflers to see they are not loose or anything either.
I got under the car and took a rubber mallet and banged the entire exhaust and could not even get a rattle...... I am started to think it has something to do with my suspension in the rear because it doesnt sound anything like exhaust pipes hitting.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rshamekh
The popping sound when turning the wheel is probably the tie rods.
I had that problem before, had them replaced under warranty.

I don't know if this is relevant, but after installing my Kooks, the whole exhaust system is hanging so low now that scrapes at places where it did not scrape before the headers. And my driver's side over axle pipe is rubbing against the panhard brace causing an annoying rattle. But I'm getting it all fixed tomorrow at a custom exhaust shop.
Thank you i will let the dealership know about the tie rods. 1 problem down, 3 more to go ........ All the pipes in the rear of the car come no where near anything to rattle. All the rattle that the headers caused came from the front and i had those issues fixes by a muffler shop. Could it be possible to have something to do with my mufflers? Old rusted muffler make noises like these? Over the weekend i will tell one of my brothers drive my car while i lay in the trunk to try and get the exact location of where the sounds come from.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
Could it be possible to have something to do with my mufflers? Old rusted muffler make noises like these?
On more than one occasion, I read about the baffles inside the mufflers coming loose and causing a rattle, but I doubt stock Saleen mufflers would do that.

The exhaust hangers might be rubbing against the sheet metal. Even though you could see that they don't touch when the car is stopped, they tend to hit the bumper from the inside when going over bumps.