Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning Manual on 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

I'd say go rent a car with a manual for the weekend (with collision damage waver). Then get some friend to hang with you and get you going.

It's not a big deal to learn. What's difficult is dealing with stop and go traffic, or a traffic jam, going uphill. Otherwise the skill required is nothing special.

I had a friend ask the other day where I learned to drive a manual (first two cars / 10 years were manual). I said I had no idea because our family always had autos. But when I was 16 my older brother let me take his '65 389 GTO manual to work one day during the summer, and he must not have thought it was a big deal. Still don't know the first time I ever drove a manual, though.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM
jslatts

as MOOK3456 said, find a CHEAP beater, I worked at a dealership for 8 months and had a 8hr work day to learn to drive standard (they paid me to learn so it wasnt bad) or they were going to let me go. Im lucky that im a fast learner. i got the basics of starting and stopping, then just honed my skills on customer cars when i would pull them around after detailing them

The Hardest part is starting, especially on hills (i still have trouble on Really steep hills)

And as Margarita Girl said, best way to learn is to own one, so 3 years after I quit the dealership, I bought my '00 GT and SO glad I bought a 5spd. its so much funner then an auto. sucks in stop and go traffic but its a sacrafice i was willing to make lol

Last edited by jslatts; 08-12-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

The new 5.0 has to be about the easiest manual to drive ever. I have only driven manual a few times on friends cars. I went to test drive a new 5.0 and the salesman came back with keys for the 6 spd. I didn't say anything and figured I'd give it a whirl. Smoothest and easiest to drive trans/clutch ever.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingless
When I taught our eight year old daughter to drive a stick we went to an empty parking lot in the middle of a snow storm.
Originally Posted by Mpov
How did she reach the pedals?
She has always been very tall.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Czar22
1st Gear Member

My first time behind a manual was when I test drove my mustang from the dealer....with my girlfriend and the sales rep in it on a Los Angeles area street. The clutch is fairly friendly compared to other cars because it is hydaulic, so it shouldn't be too bad. (I do own a motorcyle so that may have contributed my ease of learning.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:22 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
The new 5.0 has to be about the easiest manual to drive ever. I have only driven manual a few times on friends cars. I went to test drive a new 5.0 and the salesman came back with keys for the 6 spd. I didn't say anything and figured I'd give it a whirl. Smoothest and easiest to drive trans/clutch ever.
For me, since I haven't driven a manual in years, I feel like I have to learn all over again: getting used to knowing where the friction point on the clutch pedal is, etc. And I admit, I still have my embarrassing moments of stalling while releasing the clutch too quickly (Ford likes their friction points to be near instantaneous).

But I totally agree, the new MT82 tranny behind the new 5.0 is a very friendly manual tranny to drive. Otherwise, I would have had more embarrassing starting from dead stop stalls.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 09-11-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 PM
jjcsr74
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
So it looks like getting a manual is now an option for me. I've always driven an auto, and the only time I've ever driven a manual was around a neighborhood once in a friends car - and that trip was filled with stalls.

The main reason I'm even thinking about a manual is for the 3.73 gears and brembo package. If I got one, would it be difficult to learn to drive manual with it? I know the basic premise of manual driving, but just have no experience. And I would hate to end up ruining the car (my better half would also be learning on it), or to not be able to get the 'full potential' out of the car because I can't drive. But then again, everybody tells me a manual would be much more rewarding.

Advice? Stick with an auto GT, or venture out with a manual?
Originally Posted by 90stang5.0
Just do it! I just taught my 15 yr old son to drive my 04 V6 and 05 GT manuals. The only way to learn is just to do it!
I have never believed you will hurt a car from driving it. Could you shorten the clutch life a few thousand miles, sure, but that should not be a good reason not to get one.
Don't know about the skip shift feature, but if it is like the one GM used, a shorting resistor will take care of that problem.
I love driving a standard and would have all my cars be manual trans if I could. Fortunate for me, my wife can drive one also, and now my son. So if you want one, go get it.
Just my $0.02. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Nuke
+1 on just do it. Yeah, you'll probably stall a few times but the more you drive the easier it'll be. I wouldn't have bought my Stang if I couldn't get a manual.

I think you should be fine learning with the Mustang, last year i tried teaching my wife in my old Jeep and it was a nightmare...soft clutch, engine without a bunch of power...when we switched to the MUstang, she picked it up very quickly, had plenty of power to help from stalling...on idle alone she could let the clutch out slowly without touching the gas to get it moving (Slowly of course, on flat ground), so i say "Do It"
Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Corporate D
1st Gear Member

OP, I'm in the same boat as you....I ordered a manual GT without having ever driven a manual my entire life. The salesman I ordered from was nice enough to give me some lessons on a 2011 Focus. Maybe your salesman will do the same? It's not all that difficult to pick up and its so much more fun than driving an auto! Go for it.

In other news I finally got a VIN number and eta date has been set at 8/29!!! w00t!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:15 AM
orgchem

Looks like I'll be getting a manual sometime this weekend or next week. It will be a 2011 Mustang GT, brembo brakes, 3.73 gears, premium.

Wish me luck on the manual driving; I'm hoping I'll be able to get it off the lot . Actually, I drove a beater the other day with no trouble - but it was for a brief amount of time. Any advice on how NOT to ruin the car while learning? Or how to avoid stalling out in an intersection?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:45 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Are you guys that don't know how to drive a manual transmission really sure you want a manual in the Mustang? Don't get me wrong...manuals can be fun to drive (I've owned five of them and four were Mustangs) but they can also be a complete PITA in stop and go traffic and in wet or icy/snowy weather. Add 400+hp and solid axle RWD to the mix and even with Traction Control you can have a recipe for disaster.

My 2010 is the first auto Mustang I've owned and I'm not sure I would want to go back to the manual. I guess if I lived out in the country the manual could still be fun, but in the city in stop and go city and freeway traffic the manual can be a chore to drive.

No matter what...a Mustang GT (or any other high horsepower muscle car) would be one of the last cars I'd recommend to a beginner for learning to drive a stick. Practice on a beater before taking delivery of your GT!

Quick Reply: Learning Manual on 2011 GT