Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning Manual on 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Practicing on a beater for a weekend might be worse for the sake of making up your mind since that little time won't give you the opportunity to resolve osme of the minor problems that a beginner might encounter. Unless you drive in a LOT of heavy traffic daily, just get the manual.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I think you can learn rather easily. Don't be intimidated because it is a new car, just get in it and go. It will come easily, you'll see.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Mpov
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
An hour to get the basic hang of things.

A week or so to not be stalling it once a day or frying the clutch every time you start a roll. (I knew a guy who in my opinion excessively slipped his clutch. And wound up putting in new ones every 30K miles. )

A couple months to where your not anxious about pulling out across traffic.

About 6 months to here you can start off up a steep hill with another car pulled up tight on your tail and not be nervous about it.

And the rest of your driving life to prefect the finesse.
That seems about right. IMHO overall a manual is just a heck of a lot more fun than an auto. I like the feeling of control. The one down side is that in heavy, stop and go traffic it can get to be a pain.

I learned on a new car and I don't think it was any worse for the wear. My first clutch had to be replaced at about 50K miles. If you can get a beater to practice on, do it. But if you can't I wouldn't let that stop you. You also need to keep in mind that every car is different and that shifting an old beater may actually be more difficult than shifting a new 'Stang, which is actually relatively easy.

And if you do find yourself stopped on a steep hill with another car right behind you, just err on the side of giving it more gas. It's a great sound .

Last edited by Mpov; 08-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
I'm also a little concerned that it takes some skill to get sub-5 second 0-60 times from what I see on forums... I don't do red light racing and have never been to a track, but with an auto, I could get sub 5-second times just by pressing the accelerator to the floor if I wanted to, right?
Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk, and to walk before you can run.
(IOW - take phrases like "full potential" and "sub-5 second 0 - 60" out of your vocabulary for a while).

Sounds like the only way to find out is just to drive one. As far as my better half is concerned, I can see her not wanting to drive a manual often just because of the work involved. She would definitely be driving the car a lot less - which could either be good or bad, depending on your point of view ... (swapping cars some days would be a pain if she's not comfortable driving mine).
The more that you display concern here, the more likely it will be that your fears will come true.

Norm
Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 PM
10KonaBGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillQ
, but be prepared for your better half to have conniptions if she is a coffee drinker or cell phone user when she drives. Many women say they would like a manual, but day to day clutching and shifting drive them crazy, unless they are really into driving.
Sync and cupholder solve both those problems LOL.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:26 PM
BillQ

I'm a newbie here, but it's easy to see that the manual/automatic debate is a hot and heavy one. And I still stick by my feelings that 'most' women who have driven manuals typically drive relatively low torque machines. Their clutches take a little less effort to manipulate in traffic. When I read about the apprehension of some who are worried about starting on a hill, I start to question their own comfort level with the sticks too.
And before someone says I don't have a clue, I've had sticks with a 400 Pontiac, and 2 350 Chevies [all built somewhat] as well as a little 2.8 Mustang, along with a 'fully' automatic V6 Accord [phhhhhht] and a 3.2 Acura CL-S with 260 horse [but only ~ 230lb/ft torque] with a nice auto that allowed full control of shifts until I hit fuel shutoff at ~7000, but which unfortunately could not rev match the downshifts like you can with a stick.
Like I said before, my mom learned how to drive a stick at 50 with NO driving experience. It's not whether you can learn, it's whether you really 'want' to learn to learn to use a stick. BTW, my wife at the time really slowed down borrowing my car when I went from the MGB to the 400 Firebird which were both stick. All of a sudden, her auto wasn't all that bad.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

To much clutch is not going to harm the car much so long as you don't do it for to long. While your learning would be fine. The goal is to minimize clutch slippage as your still improves. The worst thing you can do is to let the clutch out before the next gear is all the way in. OUCH!!!! Bet there is some metal in the filter from that one... lol. As kids riding the school bus.... when the driver would miss a gear, some one might say "CANT FIND EM GRIND EM"
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

I wanted to call out the wife on another one of her bluffs. "I don't want to learn the stick because I don't want to hurt the car" OK. I tried to find a driving school teacher who would be willing to use the schools car to teach her to drive stick. Guess them driving schools only use automatics because the guy on the phone said sure. And what is your number and I will call you back. He never did. Oh well. Guess she lucked out on that one.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 PM
2005mystang
1st Gear Member

Manual all the way!!! Shouldn't take long to learn. Avoid hills and a*holes for a few weeks then you'll be good to go. I recommend getting the basics down on a beater, but put a lot of time on your new car somewhere away from other traffic if possible. If you don't get the manual, you'll never learn and never know what you are missing.

Of course I'm the sink or swim type. My first motorcycle was a zx6rr with no prior experience.

You won't regret the decision... I hope.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:43 PM
2005mystang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillQ
Many women say they would like a manual, but day to day clutching and shifting drive them crazy, unless they are really into driving.
Ouch! At least you threw in the "many" instead of all... so I'm not too offended. My pre-reqs for my purchase were gt and manual (plus color pref and mileage)... which many salesmen could not understand. Dude, I said stick only- get over it! I waited and found it and LOVE what I got.

Quick Reply: Learning Manual on 2011 GT