Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500, aftermarket HU, and steering wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:27 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by allinon72
JD I respect your knowledge but you are making this harder than it is. You CAN make your own harness, with resistor for the amp, without spending $100+ on the PAC harness. If you are a person that likes convenience, by all means. If you don't have the know-how to build the harness correctly, by all means. Otherwise, save yourself some money.
Again, your not understanding what your talking about..... there is no remote turn on TO THE RADIO if you have the application I am talking about. What you are referring to is eliminating the popping from the remote turn on going to the factory amps, which I already said, still needs to be done in either application.

Also, to be done right you should use a voltage regulator, not a resistor. The regulator has a pretty broad range where it will retain a constant 5v, where as the resistor just creates a voltage divider circuit and will let any fluctuation in voltage run straight to the amps.

Originally Posted by mayo
My 08 had the 3rd plug and it was just a stock 500 shaker unit I replaced. I used the pac harness and it was all plug and play....worked like a charm. No popping at startup and all the factory amps/subs seem to be working properly.
I f"in lose it sometimes when guys spend hundreds of dollars on a unit, and then try and skimp out on a cheap harness to wire it up!
You are tripping over dollars to get to pennies doing this with the time and trouble it saves you with the install.

PAC harness wired to the aftermarket harness, ready to install. The little black box is the control module that makes it all function properly...without it, problems will likely occur. Good luck with the install.
I'm wondering, did your car have Sat radio from the factory? I am thinking that is the difference as to why even a shaker 500 would be interfaced, but I didnt want to say till I talked to a few more people who have actualy seen this issue, and were not just talking out there.... you know..

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-19-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
are you installing an in dash DVD or a remote start security system?
Seriously your a professional and claim to know our cars?!? You do know there is no illumination lead in the factory harness right? You need to tap the headlight switch to get dimmer function to work, unless you like being blinded while you drive at night by the LCD screen. Its cute the way you quote me and tried to make a joke about it, but this is what I was talking about, with knowing what your saying before you post publicly.

My "save money" comment was based on the need of an ignition power only, and the non-needed module assuming the car had C-Bus. If I needed more, I would tell the customer he would come out cheaper to buy the module. Five minutes to tap an extra wire for switched power isn't a big deal when I can transfer minimal (versus the module) money to labor instead of selling a module they really don't need.
Its a Nav unit, i know the radio will turn on without all the other things hooke up, but are you saying you ignore functionality for speed of install? For a average person for example to hook up a VSS lead, they would probably be pretty scared to hook up to the computer to get this signal. But if I were to bring it to a professional, i would expect things like that to be hooked up, since I am paying to have a pro do it.

But again, so far....OEM NAV units only thus far.
Again, you can go ahead and learn or keep pushing OEM NAV only. I already told you, I have personaly installed both. One Shake radio required the harness, one did not. See the above quoted person here, mayo also put in a shaker that was interfaced.

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-19-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

My 08 had the 3rd plug and it was just a stock 500 shaker unit I replaced. I used the pac harness and it was all plug and play....worked like a charm. No popping at startup and all the factory amps/subs seem to be working properly.
I f"in lose it sometimes when guys spend hundreds of dollars on a unit, and then try and skimp out on a cheap harness to wire it up!
You are tripping over dollars to get to pennies doing this with the time and trouble it saves you with the install.

PAC harness wired to the aftermarket harness, ready to install. The little black box is the control module that makes it all function properly...without it, problems will likely occur. Good luck with the install.
So did you install any resistors or a 5v regulator to not have the popping sound or did you just use the PAC harness and you didn't have any other modifications?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

No resistor installed, and no popping...must have done something right...lol. I believe the control module stepped down the voltage to 5v.

Yes, I did have factory sat radio and it was the one snag I did run into with the install. When I first hooked it all up, I noticed at low volume a sat radio signal coming through the head. I just unplugged the factory sat ant under the trunk and it was gone. This could be a problem for someone who subscribes to this service...me not a problem, my ipod is loaded
Plenty of tunes for a sing a long
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

No resistor installed, and no popping...must have done something right...lol. I believe the control module stepped down the voltage to 5v.

Yes, I did have factory sat radio and it was the one snag I did run into with the install. When I first hooked it all up, I noticed at low volume a sat radio signal coming through the head. I just unplugged the factory sat ant under the trunk and it was gone. This could be a problem for someone who subscribes to this service...me not a problem, my ipod is loaded
Plenty of tunes for a sing a long
could be the radio you have. Some have a "soft" turn on where it ramps the voltage up from 0 to 12, most however "snap" on and its like flipping a switch, you get a pop.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

The regular Metra harness I have had an illumination wire built in, so I'm not sure why it would be there if the stock harness it's plugging into didn't have one. I'm not for sure because I didn't hook that wire up...I don't like the dimming feature.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

the metra wires into the aftermarket radio and is for multiple vehicles and years. Some vehicles it is for must have the ilumination but it is pretty well documented with ours.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...er-1000-a.html

just the first one i found when I googled it, but I know we have thread about it on our forums as well. If you dont care about it then it makes sense that you never bothered to make it work. I have mine enables cause it just annoys the crap out of me when its blinding.