Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grill Removal????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Default Grill Removal????

Does anyone have a write up some instructions on how to remove a 09 GT grill? I am installing HID fogs and I cant find anything about how to pop the grill out to make the swap. I searched and found one post that stated you have to remove the entire front bumper cover. I know it has to be easier than that right?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

You don't have to remove the front bumper. There are little pinch clips behind it and between the radiator. Just remove the radiator cover and use a flat-head screwdriver to help you push the clips through. It's REALLY easy and will take you about 3 minutes. To reinstall, just push until they snap in. Good Luck.

Edit: Let me try to be a little more specific, since this is your first time. But don't worry, it really is that easy.

1) Remove the radiator cover.
2) If memory serves me right, there will be only two screws holding the top of the grill in place. Off with them.
3) Put a towel on your front bumper to protect it from scratches. Because you are going to gentle pull your grille forward now.
4) look behind the grille and along the sides you will see (i think) 2 tabs on either side down between the grille and the radiator. They are flat on one side and and hooked on the other. Use your finger or a flathead to pry them enough that they pop through the holes. Alternate sides and keep pulling the grille forward as you go.
5) The last 2 tabs are along the bottom (again, if I'm remembering right) just wiggle the grille back and forth until they pop through the holes.

*Everything in there is really soft and pliable plastic, so it's not going to break on you.

Then disconnecting the fog light connectors on the back and replacing the bulbs are a cakewalk. In fact, you can probably reach them without popping those bottom tabs. Just pull the grille forward enough to reach and do your work in there.

To put back on, I found that just giving it a little pressure, on one tab at a time and they pop back in easy as can be.

You will do fine. This is an easy one.

Last edited by Fifthwind; 11-02-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM
RichieCal
2nd Gear Member

Good write up Fifth...I've been there and done that..But you do need to be careful with those 4 tabs, or else they can break when your trying to remove the grill..I agree, he'll do fine, you just can't be in a hurry to remove it...my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

If you do this OP, take pics and make it a write up. I'm sure that will come in handy one day for someone.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:37 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09cs
If you do this OP, take pics and make it a write up. I'm sure that will come in handy one day for someone.
I second that. I plan on one day of not just doing a grille replacement, but a whole front end fascia replacement with a Roush or Steeda one. Though my GT is an '11, at least knowing how it is done on other S197's will give me either the exact same procedure or very similar procedure to do this.

And the the first step to getting the front off is doing the steps that Fifthwind posted. But pics are worth a million words since seeing exactly where these tabs are would help me know if I am getting all of them off (lest I miss two tabs and dare to try to force the thing out).