Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moroso Oil Catch Can install with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Is this really worth the money and the effort? I've never heard of a catch can until I read this.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Is this really worth the money and the effort? I've never heard of a catch can until I read this.
Did you see all that oil in the plastic can...it would be sprayed all over your inter-cooler, reducing the cooling capacity and thus resulting in sub-performance of the blower....

..and, if you are not SG....it would be pasted all over your intake ports - the brown chocolate stuff, if you ever take off the intake.

Last edited by Roy_R; 12-27-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

The answer is "Hell yeah". IMO it should come stock. I was messing with my throttle body and noticed the oil residue getting sucked into my intake. I immediately put one on. This pic is after only ~350 miles.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
The answer is "Hell yeah". IMO it should come stock. I was messing with my throttle body and noticed the oil residue getting sucked into my intake. I immediately put one on. This pic is after only ~350 miles.
Oh wow, I never knew that oil accumulation was of such epic proportions! I really think I need one asap with as much as I drive.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Did you see all that oil in the plastic can...it would be sprayed all over your inter-cooler, reducing the cooling capacity and thus resulting in sub-performance of the blower....

..and, if you are not SG....it would be pasted all over your intake ports - the brown chocolate stuff, if you ever take off the intake.
More important than reducing the cooling capacity of the intercooler and coating internals with brown goo, is that the oil in the intake stream will effectively reduce the octane rating of the air-fuel mixture in the cylinders and eventually lead to detonation. Naturally aspirated engines are less prone to the heavy oil vapors, but all engines can bennefit from the use of a catch can in the long term.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Is there anyone with a 2010 GT and the M90 who is running a catch can? The intake is on the drivers side with mine rather than the passenger side as it looks in the pictures I've seen on the 05-09's. Im waiting to hear back from AM on any recommendation they might have for my situation.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

I had previously done this for my 06 GT: https://mustangforums.com/forum/6577234-post466.html

It looked nice, but after this weekend I am considering burning my engineering degrees and thinking about a career change.

The barb fitting on the valve cover cracked. I really underestimated how much it would be loaded with that very short hose and little stress relief. It's not all bad because now I get to buy new FRPP valve covers.

Another problem I created was using the Earl's tubing adapters to permanently convert the barb fittings into AN threads ... they don't come off, which is not a problem on the valve cover but the plastic intake manifold barb is a problem.

I ordered this Moroso separator based on this post, so thanks. Now I just have to figure out how to get that 10AN male thread down to a 1/2" ****** fitting. I'm thinking a 10AN to 8AN reducer and then a 8AN to 1/2" bard.

I wish this setup was available when I decided to do my setup.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by itchy5
I had previously done this for my 06 GT: https://mustangforums.com/forum/6577234-post466.html

It looked nice, but after this weekend I am considering burning my engineering degrees and thinking about a career change.

The barb fitting on the valve cover cracked. I really underestimated how much it would be loaded with that very short hose and little stress relief. It's not all bad because now I get to buy new FRPP valve covers.

Another problem I created was using the Earl's tubing adapters to permanently convert the barb fittings into AN threads ... they don't come off, which is not a problem on the valve cover but the plastic intake manifold barb is a problem.

I ordered this Moroso separator based on this post, so thanks. Now I just have to figure out how to get that 10AN male thread down to a 1/2" ****** fitting. I'm thinking a 10AN to 8AN reducer and then a 8AN to 1/2" bard.

I wish this setup was available when I decided to do my setup.

OUCH. That plain sucks. Roush responded to my query and said get in touch with blow by racing but that a catch can is not a requirement. I'm planning on using something that is mounted (to alleviate the very stresses you had an issue with) and utilizes OEM fittings.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 AM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

OUCH. That plain sucks. Roush responded to my query and said get in touch with blow by racing but that a catch can is not a requirement. I'm planning on using something that is mounted (to alleviate the very stresses you had an issue with) and utilizes OEM fittings.
I like the Moroso product from the original post and I have ordered it. I might have to modify (make) the bracket because of my existing strut tower brace. It's mounted, uses OEM fittings and is light weight.

My original setup was mounted to my heat shield (like most other people) I am almost positive the problem was my short hose. It really needed to be longer to allow for some hose flexibility or slightly shorter with a angled fitting. I had to bend the hose to get the fitting on the separator and the fitting on the valve cover to line up. I think this would actually have fixed my problem, but I was to lazy to order a new hose end fitting and shorten the existing hose slightly. Live and learn, I guess.

On the bright side, my wife was unquestioning of my need to buy new valve covers.

I really hope I can make something work on the intake manifold fitting. My friends think I should just cut through the AN adapter and hope I can still use the OEM fitting. If I damage the tube I could probably cut it off and attach my own with a strong adhesive. The wife accepted the valve covers, but she will probably not be as understanding if I "need" to buy a $700 intake manifold.

I think this Moroso can will work for you. They also sell just the can and bracket. You could make your own mounting bracket and get the fittings and hose yourself. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Jimbo100

Roy R, I have the same blower setup so this is great... Question, the slip on connectors that click on the valve covers, did you just cut and reuse the Roush provided vent tubes??? Great write up...

Jim

Quick Reply: Moroso Oil Catch Can install with Pics