Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 AM
T.Wayne
1st Gear Member

Default Front Wheel alignment

Need some input about 9 months ago some deer jumped out in front of me in order not to hit them I banged the wheels off a race or square curb ouch.
The rims got them fixed tires new then I get a alignment and the steering wheel is not exactly centered. The car has been in the garage it does get started and driven around the block but the steering wheel is out to the left about 4 degrees. The shop that did the alignment showed me that it all is with in spec but when you start to roll it shows up.
Does anyone know how the steering wheel is supose tobe centered?
Because my though is if it's not then it is not aligned. I did not have time to get to this because just in a matter of a week after the alignment I was off and back to the War again. Please any thoughts would be nice as I want to get this fixed as soon as I get home but I'm a engine guy not much on these front suspensions.

T Wayne in Iraq
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Hi Wayne - thank you for your service!

As long as all toe, camber and caster settings are within spec, as you shop states then having the wheel off center is not a problem and is easy to fix.

Not sure of your knowledge of the front suspension, some of this might be elementary: your steering rack is connected to two tie rods. The tie rods, one on each side, go from the center of the car out to the front wheels, where they connect to the spindle. When you turn the wheel, the tie rods transmit the input out to the front wheels to turn the car. On each side, where the tie rod meets the spindle is an adjustable link (tie rod outer end link). The end links are threaded onto the actual tie rod. There is jam nut that when tightened prevents the tie rod from turning. Its these links that are used to adjust the front toe of the car. If you adjust just one of the links (or both in opposite direction) you will change the centering of your steering wheel.

So your steering wheel is 4 degrees to the left. To correct your steering, turn either front tire TOWARDS the side the steering wheel is off to. In other words, if your steering wheel is off to the left, either tighten the front right toe link or loosen the left front toe link, or both. The tie rod has "flats" on it where you can put a wrench on it to turn. What you want to do is jack the front and pull both wheels off. Mark, with a paint marker, the top flat of the tie rod on each side (this is a reference, so you can go back if you need to). Loosen the jam nuts on each side. Now, on the drivers side loosen the tie rod one flat, in other words, as you are looking at the tie rod, you want to turn it clockwise so that your reference point (the paint mark) moves to the right. Now you could go drive it right here and see how much of a difference that made (not to much but it should be a little closer) but, in order to keep the overall toe the same, you need to go over to the passenger side and do the opposite, move the tie rod one flat to the left (counter clockwise). Tighten up the jam nuts, put on the wheels and go for a drive. It may take a couple iterations but you can perfectly align the wheel this way while still keeping your overall toe "in spec".

Good luck, Brad.

Last edited by Argonaut; 04-26-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
T.Wayne
1st Gear Member

Default OK

Brad thank you I was thinking in this direction but did know the ends and outs.
No pun intented. Harrisburg PA I have been through those parts many a time headed to Indian Town at the Gap. How is the flood stage I hope not causing to many problems for you or your town. I do miss that part of the country we live in.
Thank you again Brad for your help and take care.

T Wayne in Iraq
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Argonaut gave you the correct info. My only feedback is, it's better to let the car sit for months at a time then to have it "driven around the block". If you're not heating up the engine and oil enough (at least 10-20 miles) to drive off any moisture then you're creating more acids than if it was to just sit.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

You need to take it back to the shop and have them re-align it. There are many reasons why the steering wheel would be off center from a careless tech, to the steering wheel lock slipping, to a slightly bent front end component to even a shifted rear axle.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:05 AM
T.Wayne
1st Gear Member

Default Thanks Again

Hey thanks again for the info I will make sure more miles are being logged can only do so much from 12,000 miles away from home.
Bent componet crossed my mind the rear shifting after installing the BMR LCA's
boxed with poly George at Brenspeed checked my work and said all with in spec. Well since then is when the White Tails attempted to take me out so
I will check these things and when I get back to Brenspeed I will have them check it all out as far as the rear goes. I guess I will have a Winter project when I get home it is not out by much but I want it corrected.

Thanks everyone.
T Wayne in Iraq

"This is not Sparta but we are going to whoop that terrorist ***"
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

The alignment can certainly be in spec with the wheel not centered, but that's sloppy work by the alignment shop. Take it back and make them redo the toe setting with the wheel straight.