Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap cams/LTs? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Default Swap cams/LTs? Worth it?

I want to get a general opinion from ya'll. I have hot rod cams and long tube headers on my car right now...as most of you know or could have read, I recently got a supercharger that was making 0 boost because of above mods. When I upped the pulley and fuel, I got the boost i should have been making with the base model.

Now, should I get rid of the cams and get an FI cam and shorties in order to get that extra 4-6psi of boost??

I love the way hot rod cams sound...anyone have a sound clip of other FI cams out there???
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

You could get either BBR or Detroit Rockers ( from Brenspeed ) that do custom grinds for FI applications. Not QUITE as radical as Hot Rods but pretty damn close. Then you could have your cake and eat it too, metaphorically speaking.

4 to 6 lbs of boost lost is a LOT. As long as your engine, bottom end can withstand whatever numbers you would be putting out after getting FI cams, Id do it. And longtubes are always a good idea. lol Unless going turbo....
Old 05-02-2011, 07:21 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you should not be losing 4-6psi bc of LT's and cams
I can see 1-2 psi but not 4-6.
with my LT's i see a loss of about 2 psi from 9 to 7.
4-6 psi loss is too much to attribute to the LT's and hotrod cams.
i do not think you should spend all that money replacing what is not broken.
the LT's and cams are not your problems
i did not comment on your other threads bc i do not know what exactly is your problem
but it needs trouble shooting to find exactly what is wrong.
ultimately you should not look at the boost, bc it is a measure of restriction
look at the power hp and tq.
although i lost boost, i gained power.
when you lose boost and gain power, that is a more efficient engine setup and this is what you want.
if you are making no boost and no power it is not bc of your LT's and cams, something else is wrong, but i do not know what it is exactly.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to have to agree with Onederful on this one. I also read all your other posts, and am surprised you're losing that much boost because of the two other mods (LT's and Cams). He is exactly right about the measure of restrictions. If you think of it simply, a motor is just an air pump. Get the correct ratio of air/fuel in and out as fast and efficiently as you can. Weather you do it with boost, or higher compression (Basically the same thing) you're going to make more power.

What would be interesting is to see the car with stock cams, dyno it, then add the HR cams and Dyno again. See how much boost you lose, but how much HP/TQ you gain. However, if you did decide to go with different cams, I definitely would NOT replace the LT's. That's a good and proven mod on any vehicle setup.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I went from like 330 whp to 333.8whp na to sc. The tq curve was much nicer but about the same as well. I had the stock saleen pulley which is weak to begin with. Both chris at Blow By and Doug at Brenspeed said it was most likely the cams Lt combo. And with the new pulley I'm now seeing 5-6 psi with a 7-8psi pulley so I think it's coming out about where it should be... I'm dynoing again tomorrow so well see what the final numbers are
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

There ya go. I mean if you really wanted to, you could go with the Detroit Rockers or something thereof. But like I said, I would keep the LT's for sure. I know you've been through a bunch of different ideas, and if all those guys say that the cams is the issue, I would have to trust that diagnosis. Just saying be certain before you drop $$ for new cams. Although, you could probably still sell your HR cams as well, so you'd recover at least some of the coin....