Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About My Second Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Default Question About My Second Gear

Hey guys,

So I bought my 08 GT used with 36k on it, and thought second gear felt really rough, and convinced the dealer to perform the TSB to replace the synchros. Afterwards, while it felt a bit better, the problem was still there. I'm now about 1k after the reuild running Red Line D4 ATF in the trans, and it has helped. I've also run penzoil synchromesh and it had helped as well. However, I've still got some questions.

Obviously it's a bit rough when the engine/trans hasn't warmed up, and I expect that. The problem is when I shift into second when warm, usually relatively quick (in that I move the shifter briskly, but take my time with the clutch) at about 2k-ish rpms, 1 out of maybe 10 shifts into second I'll get a slight grind/vibration feeling in the shifter. Also sometimes happen on downshifts. NO audible grind, just a funky feeling in the shifter. If I shift at higher rpms or WOT, it's smooth as butter.

My questions include, am I just getting lazy in the shifting? I've tried making sure I'm all the way over in the 1-2 gate and have still gotten it. I was thinking maybe of getting an MGW, would the precise shifting help it? I thought maybe it might have something to do with the stock shifter bushings etc. Or is it still the synchro and it needs to be rebuilt again? I thought it wouldn't be considering it's prefect at WOT, AND it just got replaced...hate dealing with the dealer, especially if it means being without my baby for another week...

Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited by HxCGuitars; 08-21-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hi HxCGuitars,

Congrats on the new-to-you Mustang! I know, no one wants to make a visit to the dealer, but they will be best able to determine if the odd feeling in your shifter is anything to be concerned about. Let me know if I can help in any way!

~Natasha
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

My 2nd gear syncrho is not pretty either.. Buy a Hurst shifter, the BILLET one.. about 3 bones... So short, you can jam it in gear without the nasty 2nd gear unhappiness or effort... It's very positive in it's location and placement... Took mine from being like yours to happy..

Got the "T" handle.. and it looks ugly, but feels AWESOME.... Total shifter movement is right at 2" total!

Last edited by robs; 08-24-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

That dealer should have checked over the car thoroughly.
I would be VERY upset at them for selling a used car to you that has
tranny problems. I could see them missing it I know it happens all the time but I wish
dealerships would be more careful when they get ready to sell a car.

That being said...
It sounds like you may still be having syncro problems.
Or it might be something else.
If you bought a warranty with them I would even go as far as to tell them
you want a whole new transmission under warranty.

You might try a short throw shifter but if I was you I would get it put in FAST that way you will know if you need to have a SERIOUS talk with the dealership.

Our 06GT had to have the transmission replaced.
Never had been to the track or anything.
The car was WELL taken car of and not abused.

We had just done some mods when we heard a knocking sound which I thought was just a slight noise from the cams. Took it in and the mech took one listen and said it was coming from the tranny. They tore it apart and we were missing MULTIPLE teeth in it.

I have NO CLUE how it happened. Furthermore I have NO CLUE how the hell the car
was driving JUST FINE, no grinds, no trouble getting it in gear, no nothing...
with the ONLY symptom being the sound.