Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice for New Mustang Owner, Brembo, Ordering

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CoffeeGuy
Hi All -

Thanks for having me, this looks like a great forum. Moving to LA from Colorado in December and am excited to buy my first Mustang (wanted one ever since high school, but living in Colorado made it difficult). Hadn't really considered modifying it, but after reading here, maybe I'll consider it. Looks like fun.

After sitting with the sales guy this afternoon, looks like availability is limited, so I wanted some advice on my choices to avoid ordering one. Looking at a 2012 GT Premium manual. It'll be a daily driver. No track, but I enjoy curves (both kinds, actually).

1. Brembo Brake package; is it worth it? And what does "aggressive suspension tuning" mean? Not worried about the cost, but looks like many of the dealer-speced models don't have it. I want bigger wheels but could do that after market.

2. The few ordering stories I saw in the forum seemed like they were nightmares. Is it a true statement that Ford's delivery is so slow?

Thanks in advance for the help.
1) Brembo package is a nice budget package with the front Brembo brakes and different wheels. What isn't mentioned is that the Brembo package also gives you different springs than a standard GT. Check out the following website. It looks like this guy put some time into the research.

www.brembo50.com/

If you plan on upgrading wheels or springs and shocks, then do not order the Brembo package, since this is essentially what you're getting. Sam Strano is the man if you plan on going the aftermarket route.

The reason why I personally opted for the Brembo package is that I did not want to go aftermarket wheels and springs this time around, but it was personal preference.

2) Try looking for a Mustang GT in LA. Don't walk in and limit yourself to one dealership. You can use Ford's website to view dealer inventory. This is what I did when I found mine.

http://www.showroom.ford.com/FDShowr...&zipCode=94401
Old 10-21-2011, 02:57 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
The Brembo package is a steal considering the tires alone cost more than the package.
You have to factor in the cost of the tires they are removing as well. If you get the Brembo Package (which I recommend) you are getting replacement tires. Not additional tires. I am surprised that more people don't realize this.

Brembo Package - $1695
4 19" OEM Pirelli PZero Tires that come with the brembo package (per tirerack) - $1540
4 18" OEM A/S tires (per tirerack) - $556

So, if you want the Brembo package the tires are roughly $984 ($1540-$556) of the cost. Not unreasonable.

Also consider that the different sway bars, springs, etc are all replacement parts of equal value. The only part of the package that cost Ford any more money to produce is probably the "Unique AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control Tuning". And, that's just software.

I once told an Acura dealer that wanted $2800 for a tire and wheel upgrade that if I pay that much, then I expect to be delivered 8 wheels and 8 tires since the base vehicle already came with 4 of each. He couldn't come up with a coherent response
Old 10-22-2011, 04:57 PM
CoffeeGuy

Originally Posted by stags
DO NOT BUY YOUR CAR IN COLORADO, DO IT IN CALIFORNIA!!!

I have a friend who bought a new Mustang in Utah and tried to have it CA smog certified. Wound up costing him a couple grand. CA used car dealers wont buy a car thats purchased outside CA for that reason. Make sure Ford builds it CA compliant, and the best way to do that is take delivery in Cali
Looks like i'm heading that way anyway, but I was under the impression that all newly built mustangs are CA Emissions Certified. Not true?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

my car is CA emission on it..I am pretty sur all cars have CA emission certification on them