Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
LaserGT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT
Question Supercharging a 'Vert

I picked up an issue of MM & FF tonight and I saw an ad for the new Paxton S/C. It claims that it produces 600 hp at the flywheel at only 8 pounds of boost. Well that gets me to start dreaming. My question is, what would I need to do to reinforce the chassis for that much additional power?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Life is like a box of chocolates...unless they all melt into one big chocolate puddle. Then you get yourself a Snicker's bar!!!

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium Convertible. 19 in. Painted Luster Nickel Aluminum wheels, HID Headlamps/Reverse Sensing System & Security Package, Comfort Package and a Magnaflow Axle-back system (rumbles enough to shake the pigeons off the wires)
LaserGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT 2000 GT

you dont need to reinforce anything.
but if you are worried about body twisting, you can add subframe connectors and a roll cage.
but a roll cage isn't too street friendly. but depends on the # of points on the cage.
but if you want to add the SC, you can do that without anything else.

Whipple Crew Member
2-Stang Crew Member
my car
onederful100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT

The vert's frame are pretty strong to begin with, you wouldn't have to do anything to beef up the frame. If you plan on taking it down the track, most tracks will insist on a roll cage for any verts running 13.50 and faster, which you are probably already at or faster. Research different types of centrifugal and whipple type superchargers, you may prefer a whipple type after doing some research. There are a ton options for supercharging. Good luck.

"Much more of a hoot to drive than you might imagine. Think of it if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under her tweed pants. I do, and it helps."
Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear BBC
daredevil95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
LaserGT
2nd Gear Member

If I were to drive it that hard where I'd cause body twist then I'd better park the Stang. Thanks for the info, that's good to know I don't have to do anything with the chassis if I get more power.

Life is like a box of chocolates...unless they all melt into one big chocolate puddle. Then you get yourself a Snicker's bar!!!

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium Convertible. 19 in. Painted Luster Nickel Aluminum wheels, HID Headlamps/Reverse Sensing System & Security Package, Comfort Package and a Magnaflow Axle-back system (rumbles enough to shake the pigeons off the wires)
Old 12-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
LaserGT
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil95 View Post
The vert's frame are pretty strong to begin with, you wouldn't have to do anything to beef up the frame. If you plan on taking it down the track, most tracks will insist on a roll cage for any verts running 13.50 and faster, which you are probably already at or faster. Research different types of centrifugal and whipple type superchargers, you may prefer a whipple type after doing some research. There are a ton options for supercharging. Good luck.
Thanks. I wouldn't take it to the track but I'd just want to have more power under the hood (like who of us wouldn't). But is there a big difference between the centrifugal and whipple type S/C when it comes to the boost and when it kicks in? You'll have to excuse me because I'm a noob when it comes to superchargers.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserGT View Post
...But is there a big difference between the centrifugal and whipple type S/C when it comes to the boost and when it kicks in? You'll have to excuse me because I'm a noob when it comes to superchargers.
Oh yeah.
Twin screw and TVS style superchargers have loads of torque at lower RPMs, but the centifugals have more power at high RPMs, so at 3000RPMs the whipple will have more power, at 6000RPMs the centrifugal will have more power, not sure where they tend to cross over though.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
LaserGT
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
Oh yeah.
Twin screw and TVS style superchargers have loads of torque at lower RPMs, but the centifugals have more power at high RPMs, so at 3000RPMs the whipple will have more power, at 6000RPMs the centrifugal will have more power, not sure where they tend to cross over though.
That's REALLY good to know. I'm looking more for the power to come in at the low end so it looks like the whipple type is the way I want to go. Thanks to everyone for their input, it's been really helpful.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserGT View Post
That's REALLY good to know. I'm looking more for the power to come in at the low end so it looks like the whipple type is the way I want to go. Thanks to everyone for their input, it's been really helpful.
Of course, I know a guy who used a centrifugal and sprayed nitrous oxide at lower RPMs to overcome that issue... but that's getting a bit complex.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:35 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
10s, 12s, 19, 2011, 2012, blue, convertible, ford, gt, kona, lustre, mustang, nickel, package, painted, pony, premium, v6, vert