Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA Header question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
Yup, my reason exactly, emissions. I had Hooker long tubes (super comps) on my 72 Nova but, that's in a class with less emission restrictions. So, I know LT would be the performance way to go but, I need to keep the cats. I don't want to get an entire new custom exhaust (with new cats) just to have LT. So, I have my eye these shorties; http://www.ebay.com/itm/270926067256...84.m1436.l2649

Cheep copies of the JBA's..
You got a sweet ride man. Obviously a lot of money in the car with all the upgrades. Spend the money for the JBA's if you're going with shorties. They're made very well.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

With your power, why bother? I do not think you will notice anything, you would have better results by ditching the cats. My tuner tells everyone that the best exhaust mod is to lose the cats, he sees N/A S197's pick up 15 or so at the tire with longtubes, and at least half of it comes from using an OR midpipe, and I trust him because he does a ton of work and has tuned multiple 600+ hp mustangs.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

I just installed these in my Gt about a month ago. I really like what came of it but man it was by far the most time consuming installation ever. Pulling the headers off only took about 2.5 hours or so but putting the new ones in was a pain! I have done a few motor swaps and clutch installation and feel like I know my way around pretty well, if I had to do it again I would probably have to think twice about it.

Over all I would say go for it even though its an all day job I really like the sound and the performance I got out of it.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

JBA Shorties is one of my favorite mods... still using my factory catted h-pipe. My exhaust sounds perfect with cams and Flows American Thunders!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJSpags
I just installed these in my Gt about a month ago. I really like what came of it but man it was by far the most time consuming installation ever. Pulling the headers off only took about 2.5 hours or so but putting the new ones in was a pain! I have done a few motor swaps and clutch installation and feel like I know my way around pretty well, if I had to do it again I would probably have to think twice about it.

Over all I would say go for it even though its an all day job I really like the sound and the performance I got out of it.
I take it you did this on your garage floor?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

I just installed the longtubes on jackstands, and it was really fun I must say :-p... Getting the headers in wasn't hard, but in hindsight I should have picked up some header bolts instead of using the stock exhaust studs. Had I picked up the header bolts, it would have been much easier to get them to line up on the money. tightening all the bolts on the drivers side toward the firewall was a PITA! You should probably have a tad bit more room with the 4.6 I would think.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
I take it you did this on your garage floor?
I did it on my floor and it sucked. It's not even that difficult, it can just be extremely difficult to find that one spot where your hand and a wrench can fit enough to tighten down the bolts. If I were at your power level, I wouldn't bother. I only did mine because I broke two studs trying to remove my midpipe, so it was swap the headers or drill hardened steel for 10 hours.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
I did it on my floor and it sucked. It's not even that difficult, it can just be extremely difficult to find that one spot where your hand and a wrench can fit enough to tighten down the bolts. If I were at your power level, I wouldn't bother. I only did mine because I broke two studs trying to remove my midpipe, so it was swap the headers or drill hardened steel for 10 hours.
I use to have a quicklift but I sold it a few months ago. I have a friend that own a shop so, I'm going to ask him if I can use his lift. If not, its time to pull out the jack stands
Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I did mine as well on my garage floor, I was so sore afterwards. If you have a buddy with a shop it would help out so much. Go for it, you will not be disappointed. The shorties come with all new exhaust bolts, if I remember right you only have to use one OEM stud on each side, makes it a lot nicer.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

I've heard that shorties are pretty much just a waste of money because they don't net that much more power than the stock manifolds. Longtubes FTW!

Quick Reply: JBA Header question..