Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA Header question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

The shorties were worth it for me. What I couldn't justify was another $1000+ over and above the price of shorties for LT's. Not for an everyday street car. I just don't see it.

Plus, in Slicks case, he's already at 490hp, is 10-15 more HP really gonna make or break that car? It's pretty badass the way it is.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I broke the end off one stud the first time I had my midpipe off, and stripped one the second time. This last time I used copper antisieze, and non-locking nuts (double nutted, of course)...so I'm hoping it won't get all boogered up next time, I don't particularly want to face that decision!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
The shorties were worth it for me. What I couldn't justify was another $1000+ over and above the price of shorties for LT's. Not for an everyday street car. I just don't see it.

Plus, in Slicks case, he's already at 490hp, is 10-15 more HP really gonna make or break that car? It's pretty badass the way it is.

I agree and thanks for the complement. ;-) I don't want to face replacing the cats along with the mid pipe just for LT's. Plus like you said, its for the most part a streetcar. I'll take it to the track at times just to see what it will do and have some fun. I'm going with the shorty's for the reasons I stated plus, I just want to give it a bit more breathing room (the cast stockers are somewhat limiting). And I want to hit the 500hp mark at the wheels.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

I see what you're saying about cost difference... I picked up my JBA longtubes and 3" o/r x for $500 combined off another member that was parting his out...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
Yup, my reason exactly, emissions.
First off, with the work involved I don't think its worth it for shorties. Although, being blown, you'll see more benefit, BUT your block will be a ticking time bomb.

On the other hand, you know you can have your cake and eat it too right? Look at my sig man, pass Massachusetts emissions with 0 problems, and we do the OBDII hookup and everything.

Do longtubes with an O/R pipe. Your motor will thank you for not having to worry about clogged cats. It'll still be a time bomb though
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
First off, with the work involved I don't think its worth it for shorties. Although, being blown, you'll see more benefit, BUT your block will be a ticking time bomb.

On the other hand, you know you can have your cake and eat it too right? Look at my sig man, pass Massachusetts emissions with 0 problems, and we do the OBDII hookup and everything.

Do longtubes with an O/R pipe. Your motor will thank you for not having to worry about clogged cats. It'll still be a time bomb though
Time bomb? JDM Engineering does these upgrades all the time. As long as you do not go much over 500hp at the wheels your fine. I think you need to do some research before you make statements like that. Also, here in NY removing cats is not legal and if challenged you will fail NY inspection..
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
Time bomb? JDM Engineering does these upgrades all the time. As long as you do not go much over 500hp at the wheels your fine. I think you need to do some research before you make statements like that. Also, here in NY removing cats is not legal and if challenged you will fail NY inspection..
I've done my research buddy, if you did you know there is no real #, it just happens. So many factors to think of, there is no magic # where they pop. Some pop at 420, some pop at 520. Don't think because JDM has done it before means you're safe, stock components were never engineered to be at that power level.

All I'm saying with the cats is you can pass the computer portion of the test. Passing the visual is all up to what mood the shop guy is in, or if you know him you wont have a problem.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

I've done my research buddy, if you did you know there is no real #, it just happens. So many factors to think of, there is no magic # where they pop. Some pop at 420, some pop at 520. Don't think because JDM has done it before means you're safe, stock components were never engineered to be at that power level.
True statement...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
True statement...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

All I'm saying with the cats is you can pass the computer portion of the test. Passing the visual is all up to what mood the shop guy is in, or if you know him you wont have a problem.

True, any engine with mod's can push a rod at any time. It all depends on the driver and how hard he will push it. My point is, you stating a car with my mod's is a time bomb is wrong. Any engine is a time bomb if you push it hard enough. I have 15,000 mile on this setup with no issues at all and there are many out there just like mine. MY setup is nothing outside of the ordinary with this blower.

Quick Reply: JBA Header question..