Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my first manual GT experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tygr1
Between 1st and 2nd, keep the RPM up around 1000 - 1200 or so and the shift will be much smoother. Later on you'll be able to do it in your sleep at a lower RPM. That's how I learned 40 years ago.
I just said that, DOH.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
roso91

My 2013 GT is the first manual i ever bought. I have it here in europe with me. Every body here drives manuals so you need to learn quick. Before i picked up my stang i rented a manual car from a local rental company and drove it for week just practicing and stalling and popping and bucking and lurching, But a week later i had mastered that manual and probably destroyed the clutch but hell its a rental so why not lol. When i got my mustang i was disappointed that it had a hill hold feature because i had practiced hill driving so many times. O well. My advice is get a rental and learn on it.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM
JK 23112

For newbies with manual transmissions, I recommend using the "hand brake" to help you cheat a bit. When starting on a hill, use the parking brake to "hold" the car in place. Step down slightly on the accelerator as you gradually release the clutch pedal. As it grabs, put your right thumb on the button of the hand brake and let it down slowly.

This will keep your car from rolling back - and it won't "lurch" on you. Do it this way until you learn "muscle memory" and can start on a hill unassisted.

P.S. When I drive big rigs at work, I use the "trolley bar" (trailer brake) to keep the tractor & trailer from rolling backward when starting on an uphill grade.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JK 23112

For newbies with manual transmissions, I recommend using the "hand brake" to help you cheat a bit. When starting on a hill, use the parking brake to "hold" the car in place. Step down slightly on the accelerator as you gradually release the clutch pedal. As it grabs, put your right thumb on the button of the hand brake and let it down slowly.

This will keep your car from rolling back - and it won't "lurch" on you. Do it this way until you learn "muscle memory" and can start on a hill unassisted.

P.S. When I drive big rigs at work, I use the "trolley bar" (trailer brake) to keep the tractor & trailer from rolling backward when starting on an uphill grade.
This ^
Good call - the hand brake makes hills easy for beginners.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JK 23112

+1 on this unless you have the 2013, it has a hill assist so no worries about backing while doing up hill start. I have a bad habit of doing rev match though so hill assist don't do much in my case.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Dcobra31
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roso91
My 2013 GT is the first manual i ever bought. I have it here in europe with me. Every body here drives manuals so you need to learn quick. Before i picked up my stang i rented a manual car from a local rental company and drove it for week just practicing and stalling and popping and bucking and lurching, But a week later i had mastered that manual and probably destroyed the clutch but hell its a rental so why not lol. When i got my mustang i was disappointed that it had a hill hold feature because i had practiced hill driving so many times. O well. My advice is get a rental and learn on it.
I drove around my cousin's Mazda a couple of times. I practiced in the middle of the night, around 3am, with him in the passenger seat. Thankfully I took decent care of his clutch, because one of the first things he burned into my mind was to never ride the clutch. A day later, I took my stang home.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Exactly what Tygr1 said, that will work just about every time. Once you get really comfy with it you will be able to pull off second gear starts skipping first.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

The 1-2 shift is always the hardest one. Once you get it down, the rest is the breeze...until you want to properly downshift at speed .
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I've been driving for 37 years.. Had a manual for 29 of those years... I still have a hard time with my 06 GT... I probably stall it 2 to 3 times a year... Probably only 1/2 of the launches are smooth... it's the toughest manual tranny I've ever owned... With the hot rods and computer tune, there's zero bottom end torque...