Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 05:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Need help to install door projector lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM
philip_mustang2

I used the wires as described in that manual from slickman and I indeed came across some problems using the keyfob but I never related this to the installation of the projector lights, untill now off course. Strange!

The problem I had was that the fob acted strange. When I turned off the ignition I was able to lock the car with the fob, open it but then it went dead.
Unable to open the passenger door, never tried the trunk.
Turn ignition on and off and back to the same situation. Then disconnected the car battery to reset the car.
I thought after a while that it could be the battery of the fob itself that was getting low so I replaced it and that did it for me, I think at least.

Now I don't really remember if that was before of after I attached power AND mass to the plug it the A-style.
I replaced the battery when everything was done and the projectors were working fine.

Like I said the first time I only took power from the A-style and mass in the doors but then the projectors stayed on all the time and that would drain the battery.
The second time I took mass from the A-style (as in the manual) and since then the projectors are working perfectly together with the domelight.

Just tried the fob and I can open my trunk at any time, projectors on or off.

I can imagine that taking mass somewhere else can "confuse" the car, noticed that a mustang is sometimes sensitive to such things.
Got already some gadgets installed like blue ledlights under the seats, RGB underbodylights, leds & angeleyes in the grille, blue strobes in the grill/fenders, changed all the interior lights (in the buttons itself) to blue instead of the original green. A man has got to keep busy right

Hope ur problem will be solved soon!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
Did you follow wiring instruction as per the ones I posted?
Yes, I wired the same way your instructions showed.......in the right hand pillar, the same way the lighted sill plates are connected. The Red wire to the Black/Lt Blue striped wire; The Black wire to the Green/Yellow striped wire. Someone said that these being LEDs .....the current has to travel a certain way through them???
Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 AM
philip_mustang2

the doorsill lights are also leds so that can't be the problem I think
Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Update on my lights/key fob situation. I unhooked the projector logo lights and then the key fob works exactly as it did before I hooked up these lights. Next, I reversed the wiring from the logo lights (the red & black wires) .....this made no difference in the way the key fob works so I put it all back to the original way. I am determined to live with it the way it is working for now......unless someone comes up with another solution.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:24 AM
Loneharley1980

Default You lights will be easy

Originally Posted by bossdriver
I bought door projector logo lights (they shine the Mustang Logo from the bottom of the door). You have to drill a hole in the bottom of your door to install them, they point at the ground and when the door is opened they will light up the ground with the Mustang logo. What I need help with is the electrical hookup. Each light comes with just a red and black wire to be hooked up to the power source. I assume the black wire would be to ground and the red wire to a live power source. I have read the instructions of how to install lighted door sills but they are wired together as one unit. It seems to me that I should be able to hook these up with the available power inside the door itself. The only problem is which wire will be active only when the door is opened? I have a wiring diagram from a Hayes manual that shows door ajar switches for each door. Ideally, this would be where I would like to get my power. Has anyone else done this or have any idea of how to do it?
BTW here is a link to what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...1ca25c&vxp=mtr
Ok so I bought lights that are very similar I have them on my 2007 mustang gt all you need to do is remove the door panels drill your hole in the opening right by the red lens in the door panel on the bottom there is just enough room. Then to wire it up use the plug that gos to the door latch not the door locks it should have a green with yellow strip for your power ( hot ) and the black for your ground just piggy back on them Reinstall the door panels and your good they will turn on only when the door is open and go off as soon as the door shuts as long as the door is open they are on no matter what the dome light is doing hope this helps
Old 01-16-2017, 02:58 PM
MustangGuy05

Default I have them installed my self. Work perfect.

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
I'd like to see the finished product! Always curious as to how these look
. Mine are not hooked into the dome light the work with the doors and go off when they close I added no extra wires just made the two connection
Old 03-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Jared Hunter

Default What wire did you use?

Originally Posted by MustangGuy05
. Mine are not hooked into the dome light the work with the doors and go off when they close I added no extra wires just made the two connection
What wire did you get power from?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Can you guys post some pictures of the finished project?