Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gt Rocker panel

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Default Gt Rocker panel

I have 6er rockers and I was looking to upgrade to the painted gt ones. I have a satin silver car so I am sure I will have to have them painted. So where can I find good quality take off to paint
Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

could just use yours.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I thought you couldn't reliable paint the textured ones
Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

I"m in the same boat, really want painted rockers, can't find em anywhere. Anybody know how much it will cost to paint the ones we have already?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Should take about 1/2 gallon of automotive paint. The color code is on the inside of the door on the sticker below the door catch. This will indicate the exterior body color code from Ford that you will tell to the paint mixer dude at a NAPA or Dupont, etc etc location that will mix automotive paints. For the ABS rocker covers on the Mustangs you should go with an acrylic enamel and a wet look hardener with an elastic additive on top of that...the elastic additive will allow the paint to absorb/heal from rocks and debris that can kick up along the rockers. Remove the panels then prep the ABS with a solvent wipe down then allow it to dry and wipe completely clean and let it air dry. Then while that's waiting mix the paint and the hardener and the additive pouring through a strainer into the airbrush bowl you'll be using. Lay the panels down across a couple of saw horses and make sure the area underneath and all around the perimeter where you'll be painting is spotless and clean so no dust and debris can spray up and onto the painted surfaces. Place the horses over sheets of painter's plastic covers if you have the space. Or find a room or shed that you can close off...this is of course excessive.. but depending on how much of a perfectionist you are... you decide. Put on your painter's face mask....Hit some practice swipes across some plastic sheets and set the air pressure for the least amount of overspray and have at it. Shoot the first coat, wait 20 minutes lay down a second coat...wait 20 minutes...then a third. Then let it set for a few hours with a ceramic type heater in the room set for 80 degrees or heat lamps aimed at the rockers just enough to warm the surface. Clean the airbrush and seal all the paint and additives, then if you want to add another couple of coats later... repeat the mixture and shoot some more paint.

The Paint...the hardener and the additive will effectively self etch into the textured surface and dry to a smooth shiny surface devoid of the texture.

Then after 24 hours...put your rocker panels back on... and enjoy.

Oh, and as a DIY project..the paint additives, solvent, materials and tack clothes should run in the $140 to $160 range. This is assuming you own a compressor and airbrush equipment already. Or you can rent what you need from an Advance Auto Parts. Yes if they sell it..they'll rent it...so I'm told.

If you want to pay a guy like me to do this for you..then its materials costs plus $400 in labor for a total of maybe $550 to $600.

For that additional cost...I would buy a compressor and airbrush. Learn how to shoot paint on my family's hooptie ride and then turn the sprayer on my Mustang when I'm confident I can get it done.

Then again.... I was taught how to shoot paint and prep surfaces as a nine year old kid in my dad's autobody shop...so something like this is a literal cake walk for me....or my own kids.

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 01-24-2014 at 03:45 PM.