Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Hiding the mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

Once I get buy the GT500 exhaust for my car thats the first thing im doing to it. Makes the car look much cleaner in the back. It'll be alot easier since it wont be on the car. This time I can paint the whole thing instead of just the parts you see.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM
pauljoseph

I'm with you, Pdonket...I noticed the same issue with the new Touring axlebacks. Much improved sound and I appreciate the 4 1/2" tips...but the mufflers are enormous!! It's not a great look from the rear.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

You gotta love Borla for actually sending a new set of mufflers to you because of drone. I contacted Magnaflow about the ridonkulous droning issue on my Magnadrone Competition Catback.

Condensed version of their response, "we suck, we can't design drone free exhaust systems, any aftermarket exhaust system will cause drone".
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I painted both of the GT take-off mufflers flat black before putting them on my v-6. There's already some other junk (under the spare tire) painted back, so it kind of ties it all together. Still can see them, but not nearly as noticeable as they were before. I've got some pictures, but I'm too lazy to dig them up. I would if you want me to post them.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
I painted both of the GT take-off mufflers flat black before putting them on my v-6. There's already some other junk (under the spare tire) painted back, so it kind of ties it all together. Still can see them, but not nearly as noticeable as they were before. I've got some pictures, but I'm too lazy to dig them up. I would if you want me to post them.
Okay, I looked it up, here's from my user site.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...t-install.html
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Radioguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
Okay, I looked it up, here's from my user site.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...t-install.html
How is the sound from the GT mufflers compared to the stock mufflers? Did the GT mufflers have "hanger supports" that were the same locations as the stock mufflers?Thanks....
Old 02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Radioguy
How is the sound from the GT mufflers compared to the stock mufflers? Did the GT mufflers have "hanger supports" that were the same locations as the stock mufflers?Thanks....
I got the setup for NTO. The GT mufflers were on a convertible, and they are supposed to be slightly quieter that the coupe mufflers. The right side GT muffler hangs from the existing hangers. The kit from NTO includes the 2 hangers for the drivers side. Mounting tabs are there, but it's best to get a thread tap, and chase the threads. I like the sound, but remember I'm an ol' guizzer. Nice rumble at idle, cackle when you get on it, but not too loud when cruzin'. Some people have had problems with rattles, but I didn't. Just take your time, double and triple check all your clearances. It's a little tight over the rear axle, but it will work okay. I drove about 400 miles after the install to make sure I didn't have any rattles. Then I had a friend weld it all together. Haven't had a problem. Now remember, it's never going to sound like a V-8. I think it is one of 2 best upgrades I've made. Duals, and the convertible light bar. Good luck.....
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

the gt500 lower valance covers them, the square flows cant really be seen with the stock bumper either.