351 Mustang

converting 302 to 351

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:43 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Default RE: converting 302 to 351

ORIGINAL: rallycar01

As i going to the 9 qt pan ......89for....you sent the sight above that said the MAF would work fine......But from other post i seen said diff....so seriously which is best...and what size??? thanks...by the way picked it up for $100 since didnt have the intake...but planned on going GT 40 if possable....is it???
the A9L and A9P computers were the best ones, excluding 93cobra, but the 89 A9's were the first 49state MAF meters in mustangs and I believe they handle the best to bolt ons. I said the computers out of the 5.8 trucks is junk, but the MAF meter out of a F-150 Lightning is good. Alot of people use them and I think they are 70mm, I could be wrong. What size you want all depends on what your setup is and how much air you plan to flow through. I have to ask you how much money do you have? b/c funning 11's is going to cost more than just building an engine you are going to need some tires and suspension, butt you can worry about that later. as for your setup, what intake are you planning on getting and what heads, if you want to make this as easy as possible i would recommend the Trick Flow Track Heat top end package, the one that comes with the heads and cam too. I would say get atleast a 70mm throttle body 70mm MAF meter. but im sure you could piece together a much better combo.

You said that other post you saw said the MAF wouldnt work, what exactly did they say?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

As i going to the 9 qt pan ......89for....you sent the sight above that said the MAF would work fine......But from other post i seen said diff....so seriously which is best...and what size??? thanks...by the way picked it up for $100 since didnt have the intake...but planned on going GT 40 if possable....is it???
The MAF/Injector combo is a little tricky.
The computer, MAF tube, MAS sensor, and injectors all need to be considered a matched set. If just one of the items is mismatched the car will run like pooh.

It will be easiest to help if you describe what intake, heads, cam and injectors you plan on going with.
Is this a bare bones swap, on a tight budget, OR an all out dream build?

The GT40/Lightning lower a pretty good intake, and will mate up to the gt40 upper intakes from 302's.
Not a bad option.

jason
Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

...I said the computers out of the 5.8 trucks is junk, but the MAF meter out of a F-150 Lightning is good. Alot of people use them and I think they are 70mm, I could be wrong. ...
One minor clarification...
The lightning LMAF was either 80mm or 90mm, depending on year.
They are very accurate and very cheap.
The down side is that they REQUIRE a custom tune; either a dyno tune or tweecer/pms/etc.

The 94-95 Mustang had a 70mm MAF, which can be used on an A9* computer with 19lb injectors.
This is a good alternative to the Fox MAF, which was a choking point on the car when it left the factory.

I must admit that I don't check this 351w section as often as I should.
Feel free to pm me to get my attention...
jason
Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

Well I was prolly going to put about i duno just a guess though but around $4,500 into the motor...But just as hassle and congestion it seems like i would be better off going with a carb set up....upperintake i think im going to go with an Gt40 and cam i dont knnow dont know to much about them on ratios and all that tech stuff. Heads i was going to do alum heads...but size ...i dont know either...just thought someone would have a 351W that ran 12's and would be able to tell me what they got and id be able to work from there. I realize i dont want an 11 car b/c i dont want to have to put a roll bar in it. i want to be able to drive it on the street on the weekends not that i couldnt with an 11 car but if i got friends with me and stuf just getting around the roll bar would make things a hassle. But im young want to go fast and show what it can do at the track....so a good low 12 would be sweet. Your responces are great keep them comming with ideas and everything...D-Day for tearing down is May 1st....dont have a lisence now but get them back in Sept. so i dont have very many bills right now so thats where all the money will be going into. Keep em comming guys thanks!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:58 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Well I was prolly going to put about i duno just a guess though but around $4,500 into the motor...But just as hassle and congestion it seems like i would be better off going with a carb set up....upperintake i think im going to go with an Gt40 and cam i dont knnow dont know to much about them on ratios and all that tech stuff. Heads i was going to do alum heads...but size ...i dont know either...just thought someone would have a 351W that ran 12's and would be able to tell me what they got and id be able to work from there. I realize i dont want an 11 car b/c i dont want to have to put a roll bar in it. i want to be able to drive it on the street on the weekends not that i couldnt with an 11 car but if i got friends with me and stuf just getting around the roll bar would make things a hassle. But im young want to go fast and show what it can do at the track....so a good low 12 would be sweet. Your responces are great keep them comming with ideas and everything...D-Day for tearing down is May 1st....dont have a lisence now but get them back in Sept. so i dont have very many bills right now so thats where all the money will be going into. Keep em comming guys thanks!
you should check out people with 302 based strokers that run in the 12's, those setups will work well with a 351w based engine as well but you will have more displacement. And you can run 11's with out a roll bar or cage, just dont make passes lower than 11.5
Old 01-23-2007, 08:00 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

...I said the computers out of the 5.8 trucks is junk, but the MAF meter out of a F-150 Lightning is good. Alot of people use them and I think they are 70mm, I could be wrong. ...
One minor clarification...
The lightning LMAF was either 80mm or 90mm, depending on year.
They are very accurate and very cheap.
The down side is that they REQUIRE a custom tune; either a dyno tune or tweecer/pms/etc.

The 94-95 Mustang had a 70mm MAF, which can be used on an A9* computer with 19lb injectors.
This is a good alternative to the Fox MAF, which was a choking point on the car when it left the factory.

I must admit that I don't check this 351w section as often as I should.
Feel free to pm me to get my attention...
jason
if you dont want to check everyday just do what i did and subscribe to the whole section. then you can just read them in an email and respond to which ever ones you want, but i would suggest that you not subscribe to the more popular sections, b/c that will fill up your email really fast, but the 351 section almost never gets new posts