Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

MMR without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Default MMR without a tune?

Wow i really like the red mmr and v6 mustang stuff says that a tune isnt needed. Im really not into tuning my computer because the 900 dollar warranty i paid for will really be destroyed if you get some nosy psycho service guy who is a pain in the *** about it. So has anyone tried it without a tune. Does it work good without it or does it miss and do u really need a tune. Any decent power upgrade with it? Thanx
Old 09-03-2006, 10:35 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MMR without a tune?

Well if your going to get a Cold Air Intake you really want to get a tuner with it for a couple reasons. #1 Just a CAI will make the engine run lean on the air/fuel ratio which is bad. #2 The tuner brings out alittle more from the CAI. If your only going to go with one thing i'd reccomend the tuner before the Intake, especially if your running an automatic it adjusts shift points and nets more power then the intake. But if you get a tuner and your concerned with voiding your warranty, well the tuners come with 3 tunes plus after you retune the stock computer it retains the stock settings. So if you need to take it in to get some warranty work done just retune it with the stock tune and theyll never know it had been tuned. It only takes about 5mns to tune.

Also from what i've read for reviews the MMR Intake nets about 10rwhp which is a nice gain.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:01 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Someone i know has a k&n on his 2004 v6 and he gets really bad gas mileage. Is this a function of not having a tune with a CAI?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

More then likely because the air/fuel ratio is off so my guess would be thats why its bad....Or he just had a lead foot
Old 09-03-2006, 11:55 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

Wow i really like the red mmr and v6 mustang stuff says that a tune isnt needed. Im really not into tuning my computer because the 900 dollar warranty i paid for will really be destroyed if you get some nosy psycho service guy who is a pain in the *** about it. So has anyone tried it without a tune. Does it work good without it or does it miss and do u really need a tune. Any decent power upgrade with it? Thanx
NO NO NO... simply put the tune back to stock... the servce guy cannot tell that the car has been flashed... this has been beat to death.... LOL!

The MMR without a tune mainly makes power by leaning the car out.... they increase the MAF housing size without telling the computer... so the car is flowing more error than the computer realizes... so your cr runs leaner... making more power...

I had the MMR so I know this... LOL!

Now... if I were you I would go with the C&L and an X-Cal2 combo! The C&L outperformed my MMR and was cheaper... the C&L does require a reflash though.. but in my opinion a CAI without a tune is not really worth it...

BTW... the stock air box actually performs pretty well up to about 4000RPM...
Old 09-04-2006, 12:02 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Ya i had meant just replace the stock tune lol and like you said i'm going to buy the C&L combo for 2 reasons. Cheaper and Alot of people are happy with it. Not to mention thats the main combo the the tuner places sell (Bamachips, Brenspeed)

Not trying to thread jack but seems like a good place to post. I thought about getting the Alternative Auto Tuner, only problem is it will pry be more expensive because you have to buy the CAI seperately. But since they have a real good rep. working with automatics it seems like a good choice. Do you know where you could buy the C&L seperately if i decided to go that way?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Ya i had meant just replace the stock tune lol and like you said i'm going to buy the C&L combo for 2 reasons. Cheaper and Alot of people are happy with it. Not to mention thats the main combo the the tuner places sell (Bamachips, Brenspeed)

Not trying to thread jack but seems like a good place to post. I thought about getting the Alternative Auto Tuner, only problem is it will pry be more expensive because you have to buy the CAI seperately. But since they have a real good rep. working with automatics it seems like a good choice. Do you know where you could buy the C&L seperately if i decided to go that way?
Alternative Auto also offers a C&L/X-Cal2 combo... (Actually Lidio used The Mistress to develop his C&L tune! LOL)