4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Mark11
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech vs. Procharger

in regards to the original post I'd say procharger with the air to air intercooler, bottom line, you get better overall cooling efficiancy for now and the future should you decide to up the boost. If you can get the vortech with an air to air intercooler that would be a fine set up as well. Ive done A LOT of research on both brands and I honestly like the Pro a bit better just because it seems they invest a lot in r&d, they have great effiancy (air to air), and most important, $$$$$ good price for even better quality. You'll be happy with either though so dont worry which you pick.

EDIT in response to the prior comment on not seeing 470 whp to the wheels at 8 psi, it could be possible with a good set of bolt on's, i.e. LT's o/r H TB MAF and a good tune. Ive seen 99-01 cobras at just over 500 at the wheels with 10 psi and most of the goodies, so 460-470 isnt out of the question at 8psi w/ bolt ons and a great dyno tune
Old 06-13-2006, 02:50 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I think both ProCharger and Vortech's websites/info is so biased it has to be disregarded.

I talked to the shop who did my install and went with what they prefer since they were the ones doing the install and have worked with many more head untis than I have.

If you're doing it yourself, go with what you think you can handle. I think both of these centri devices are a can't miss. Oil pan vs. self-contained is a personal preference. As far as punching a hole in your oil pan, 2000Gt4.6 was right, it isn't the hardest thing on the install. Paying for an air-to-water intercooler and relocating the battery seems to be more of a pain in my book with the Vortech.

Maybe my guys' Mustang Dyno was off or something but I was able to get just under 400 (398 to be exact) on my Stage 2 Intercooled ProCharger @ 8psi. If others are only hitting 360, am I really getting almost 40RWHP out of my exhaust? I know it's F/I but that seems a bit much. Maybe those with 360 RWHP @ 8psi have a crappy tune. idk.

If you go ProCharger, get the Stage 2 intercooler.

If you go Vortech, skip the cooler and cool the charge with a water/meth setup.

Either way you'll be blown and happy about it!

Good luck on the decision, it's almost as bad as waiting for your car to get done.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

in regards to the original post I'd say procharger with the air to air intercooler, bottom line, you get better overall cooling efficiancy for now and the future should you decide to up the boost. If you can get the vortech with an air to air intercooler that would be a fine set up as well. Ive done A LOT of research on both brands and I honestly like the Pro a bit better just because it seems they invest a lot in r&d, they have great effiancy (air to air), and most important, $$$$$ good price for even better quality. You'll be happy with either though so dont worry which you pick.
+1,
The only reason i can logicly come up with to run the Vortec (SQ) is that it is quieter. Other than that, the air to air intercooler is the most efficient way to go. I am running a procharger on my 01, and I am making just under 440 rwhp @ 9 psi. I have yet to see a similarly set up Vortec car make the same hp at the same boost level. I attribute this mostly to Procharger's air to air intercooler.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:50 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

the V2 has a very noticable whistle at idle and it spools up around 2-2.5k rpms..... i love it. it was a decision between the vortech and procharger for me too... but i got a used vortech for 3k cheaper than a new procharger and that changed my decision.... they are both awesome units though. ive seen prochargers on C5 Z06's without any problems and ive never had problems with my vortech on my car as well... i daily drive the car and its got 14k miles on the blower now and not a single problem....
Old 06-13-2006, 06:23 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

+1,
The only reason i can logicly come up with to run the Vortec (SQ) is that it is quieter. Other than that, the air to air intercooler is the most efficient way to go. I am running a procharger on my 01, and I am making just under 440 rwhp @ 9 psi. I have yet to see a similarly set up Vortec car make the same hp at the same boost level. I attribute this mostly to Procharger's air to air intercooler.
If your worried about getting a air to air on the vortech just buy a paxton air to air and use it on the vortech. I have been talking to MPH about doing a intercooler and he basically recommends the paxton over the aftercooler from vortech.

Conservativly converting from a mustang dyno to dynojet reading, I am making 415 WHP at 9.5 PSi with my crappy N/A stage 2 cams, and there was quite a bit left in the tune. I don't think you are going to see significant gains between any of the major centri brands except crappy powerdyne.

On another note, I can easily see a blown car picking up 30-40 WHP with LTs and a full exhuast. Hell, you can pick up 15 WHP on a n/a car with just a set of longtubes, and there is so much more to gain with a power adder in place it's not funny.

Also, IMO the ONLY reason to pick procharger over vortech is that you get a intercooler with it. But he is basically being quoted the same price for a intercooled procharger installed as he is a intercooled vortech installed.

Honestly though, I think I would have gone with a novi 2000 if I could do it all over again, that blower just has so much potential while still having great driveablity on the street with a 400~ WHP car.