4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Changing coolant

ORIGINAL: HOLLYWOOD99

Go get the chiltons manual.. its MUCH better!
Get the factory service manual its much,much better!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:49 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenv

Where can I get one of these?
I purchased a FSM on CD from ManualsUnlimited and I'm disappointed with it.
The first copy was just defective and I had to send it back.
The second copy works but it's obviously bogus because I have to set the date
back on the computer to run it and even then certain sections of the books don't work correctly.
In the past I have always gotten FSM via a mail in coupon in the owners manual (Dodge and Chevy) but Ford doesn't seem to do it this way.

Ideas?

Just to stay on topic, don't use Dexcool!!
GM learned the hard way.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:41 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

ORIGINAL: kenv

Where can I get one of these?
I purchased a FSM on CD from ManualsUnlimited and I'm disappointed with it.
The first copy was just defective and I had to send it back.
The second copy works but it's obviously bogus because I have to set the date
back on the computer to run it and even then certain sections of the books don't work correctly.
In the past I have always gotten FSM via a mail in coupon in the owners manual (Dodge and Chevy) but Ford doesn't seem to do it this way.

Ideas?

Just to stay on topic, don't use Dexcool!!
GM learned the hard way.

Try Ebay! Also I called a few oil change places and they want$89 plus fluidsto fluch an average car! It may be worth it just to get that done because they will properly flush it and put anything you want in there!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Try Ebay! Also I called a few oil change places and they want$89 plus fluidsto fluch an average car! It may be worth it just to get that done because they will properly flush it and put anything you want in there!
Yea, I was looking on ebay but it's difficult to tell which FSM are bogus (like the one I have) and which are good.
They all seem to say "watch out fo the other guy" etc...

Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Yeah they say that so you think they are selling you the real thing when it's completely bogus! There are a few places that sell factory oem parts, I'll see if I can find one. I know I bought some locking lug nuts off of one and they were descent and fast! I'll let u know
Old 03-16-2007, 05:00 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Yeah they say that so you think they are selling you the real thing when it's completely bogus! There are a few places that sell factory oem parts, I'll see if I can find one. I know I bought some locking lug nuts off of one and they were descent and fast! I'll let u know
Thanks!
Steve
Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 PM
bearrfoot

OK... I'm confused. Listening to the local radio "autotalk" show I hear the "expert" saying you are gonna eat up your gaskets and more if you run Dex-cool more than 2 years...! He also seemed to be recommending to change ANY of them every 2 years.....

I never heard of dex-cool before, and right then decided that was a good thing. But I shot the guy an e-mail to his shop and questioned the Prestone extended-life (it is a greenish-yellow kinda color - not any of the green, red, or orange you guys mentioned) I was running in my Tbirds for 3 years already. He said it was OK for 3 years, no mention of the 5-year Prestone claim. So now I'm wondering if I should change it NOW at 3 years...?

He also mentioned "silicates", saying you cannot ever get them out of your system if ever you used that type... but didn't mention which brand/color had silicates - maybe the old green stuff...? Anyhow he said the traces of silicates remaining in the system would invalidate the extended-life ability of the new stuff.

The implication was, if you didn't load your NEW engine with extended-life the FIRST time... you're never gonna get there...

Now Prestone sez on the jug the extended life is "compatible" with all other types.... but I think does not actually claim it's good for 5 years under that condition -- where you had the old green stuff in there before and flushed it out.

So I'm still confused...

One thing I would like to find is a tester to use to test the acidity of the coolant. Seems to be if you can test it, you can run it until it goes to acid. Check it at oil changes after the first 2 years and you should be safe.

Anybody know where to find a tester...? Maybe a roll of litmus paper like they useta use in the high-school chem lab....?

Comments appreciated.....!