4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

engine swap worth it in a 94 cougar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:04 PM
sopfu

Default engine swap worth it in a 94 cougar?

I have a 94 cougar (not a mustang, I know, but there aren't any good cougar forums out there) with the 4.6L, and it has just been diagnosed with a blown head gasket. It was also diagnosed with this about a year ago, but the mechanic I took it to said that he has never heard of a 4.6 ever blowing a head gasket and said it looked fine to him. 15,000 miles later I'm still have a leak with a mystery fluid, but the engine seems to run fine and the only thing that isn't perfect is the transmition seems to half-shift alot, which is most likely a computer problem. The problem comes that I am moving about 1300 miles away, and I need to be able to pull a trailor and I can't risk breaking down on the trip.

I love the car, it's the only special edition cougar in red with the V8 that I have ever seen, and it is very clean. It just turned 172,000 miles and I have always planned on turning this into a hobby car once I have some free money floating around. My main form of transportation is my motorcycle, but the bike isn't a good moving vehicle, and it isn't as friendly in the snow, so I need a car as well. I have seen some other MN12s done up really nice, and they aren't something you would expect to be fast, and a nicely done up cougar would be pretty rare and fun to drive.

My options as I see them:

A) sell the car and get a small truck for the move. I figure I can get some where between $1000 and $2000 because of all the accessories I have added, like my alarm and stereo and because the body and interior are so clean.

B) risk pulling a trailor to my new house and don't fix anthing. Keep in mind the tranny is acting up as well...

C) get the head gasket replaced on the existing engine, I think I could get it done for around $1200

D) swap in another SOHC 4.6L

E) Go all out, get either a DOHC 4.6 out of a stang, or a 5.3L out of a F150. I've never had to do an engine swap, but it would seem that if I go this route I would also need a new computer which could either fix the tranny problem, or require me to get a new transmition. I have always wanted a manual, and if I go this route I might be able to fulfill this dream (does anyone know?). Of course there are other things that would need to be changed as well, but I'm just trying to get a feel for what I can do.

I'm based in Minneapolis right now, and I'm gonna go talk to Wagamon Bros tomorrow about getting a new engine. Anyone have any suggestions for who to talk to or?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Hells GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: engine swap worth it in a 94 cougar?

if your looking for a small truck i have one for sale, its a 99 dodge dakota with many mods and a big $$ custom stereo installation. See pictures: Cardomain
Old 12-22-2004, 10:28 PM
ponygt

dont use your car to pull a trailor. not good for the tranny, too much of a load on it. Do you have milk shake in your oil?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:36 PM
sopfu

ORIGINAL: ponygt

dont use your car to pull a trailor. not good for the tranny, too much of a load on it. Do you have milk shake in your oil?
The oil looks fine, I think at this point it is just leaking out of the engine, and not into the engine. It's leaking a lot though and it's only time before the gasket is totally worthless.

As far as the pulling a trailer, I thought I read someplace that the trannies in the cougars were supposed to be amazing, with a pulling capacity similar to most full sized trucks. Of course, I can't really talk since it is having problems... Keep in mind this was a luxury car before it was a sports car.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:15 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

5.8L...
Old 12-23-2004, 03:39 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The last option is to rent a truck for way less money and tow the stuff, drive the truck back to the place you got it, and drive the car to the new home.

To be blunt: If you have never done a engine swap or much engine work and have no contacts with people familar with this car (or at least this type of work) you have absolutly no hope whatsoever of pulling off any swap other than for the exact motor that you have. The problem is all of the little problems you will encounter. To be truthful even swapping the same motor will be a headache for someone that isnt fairly familar with mechanical work. (re: dammed near impossible).

On the subject of modding out the cougar: It doesnt sound like you are someone who has more cash laying around than you know what to do with (This is not a insult, I am in the same catergory, and so is everyone else on this board). You are going to spend more money and time on this car than you would buying a mustang or other car that is more common to the modification scene. Simply buying another car and working on it will be much cheaper. I can see the atraction of having something few/nobody has, but its going to be a long hard road, and your going to find little to no help from people precisly because it is so rare.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I started down the custom route with a Lincoln MK VIII,and ran into the brick wall of no parts available.With having to move that far away at this time of year it would be wise to rent a truck to move with and get the car later,maybe rent a trailer and drag the car out at the same time.I don't think a DOHC engine will fit in a Cougar/T-bird because of the shock mounts are to close together.Remember Murphy's law!!!The law will take effect in front of one of the crooked repair shops featured on 20/20.