4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ls1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 PM
rd50stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ls1 swap

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

ORIGINAL: rd50stang

ORIGINAL: rd50stang

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

I was applauding the engine itself. I would never put an LS1 in my mustang. It's absurd. The amount of work involved is astronaumical and im sure few people here could ac tually pull it off. BUT power for power, The LS1 is a better engine then the 4.6 period. Thats all im saying. Can the 4.6 push the mustang to the limits? Hell yeah, fully modded.
EXACTLY
I would never do it either, but BANNED(this is what im refering to in my posts) the ls1 would RAPE pretty much anything ford could ever put in there...so $ for $ the ls1 WOULD be better...(if you could put it in)
This is the one i meant to quote. And that is not true. It will not rape any ford engine you can put in it
lol ok put down your engine of choice... the 5.4 blows *****...so dont thnk of that one..n e diesel motors you pic would be unrealistic and would break down...so go for it..pick away
Terminator engnine, Lightning engine, Harley davidson eninge, 2000 cobra R engine.
lol all those motors you listed ...5.4 n 4.6 are still slower then ls1... you dont have n e thing better than that? the harley davinson motor is just a 5.4 with a weak blower..the lightning is the same thing..an ls1 covers both those motors in the quarter... the termy motors are about eaqual but wiith eaqual mods the ls1 will again beat it... im a die hard mustng fanatic..but you gotta know when your beat
Terminator will beat an ls1 stock for stock. If you put a lightning engine in that mustang it will beat an ls1. 380>ls1. Read your facts dude. An ls1 is not even with an 03 cobra
Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banned

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

with 9k in a turbo and forged 4v, spanking ls1's would be cake... but again notice you didnt add the xtra costs to the 500 bucks like you did to the 4v... your just being biased... and how much do you think an ls1 swap is going to cost kid?... grow up man, if you love f bodies so much grow a mullet and go buy one... damn
See, why the personal attack. I am a diehard mustang fan and always have been, but I am a car enthusiast as well. I have respect for other cars, seriously did u just tell me to grow a mullet and buy an fbody? what are you like12? When an arguement doesnt go your way you have get all pissy? Maybe you should grow up some. LS1 would cost 4200 with everything you would need. Here is what one on ebay has.
2001 LS1 engine and T56 six speed transmission out of a WS6 Trans Aim with 65,682 miles. VIN# 2G2FV22G412140994. This is a 2001 engine which has the Corvette LS6 intake. Included are all belt driven accessories, all sensors, starter, exhaust manifolds, computer, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, and engine wiring harness. This is a complete drop out engine. I will also reprogram the computer for a basic engine swap. The vehicle anti theft system will be deleted, and if legal in your state or for off road use I can delete all emission items (rear o2 sensors, air pump, fuel tank pressure sensor, etc). Engine has been cranked, runs excellent and will have a 6 month warranty.

You would need a new driveshaft, exhaust. Thats it. Getting the gauges to work in your mustang would be tricky, but it could be done.

umm probly bc you said we were "immature" for telling you that you have no idea whats involved in this swap... and your cut and paste does nothing for actually gettin the ls1 into the mustang
After a 1 minute search of LS1tech you can modify the 4.6s mounts to fit.
you dont seem to understand.. setting the motor in the bay is the easy part....
The engine itself is probably 70% the size of the 4.6. The computer and wiring harness comes with the engine. All you would need to do is get some wiring diagrams and go to town. It would be time consuming yes, but it can be done, and has been done. There are several foxbodies running LS1s. Not to mention countless other vehicles that have had LS1 swaps. Its not impossible. It would be just as hard as putting an EFI 5.0 in a 4.6, maybe easier.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Fobra
Banned

its all money... once you get into crazy horsepower the 4.6 and ls1's are about the same cost... the ls1 is a better design arguably, but that depends on how you look at it... again the point is that the highest level is wont matter, its all money.... both can make over 1000 hp, but like you say 600 or so is easier with an ls1 no question..., but when you already have a mustang... a modded 4.6 is the better way to go
Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Fobra
Banned

with 9k in a turbo and forged 4v, spanking ls1's would be cake... but again notice you didnt add the xtra costs to the 500 bucks like you did to the 4v... your just being biased... and how much do you think an ls1 swap is going to cost kid?... grow up man, if you love f bodies so much grow a mullet and go buy one... damn
See, why the personal attack. I am a diehard mustang fan and always have been, but I am a car enthusiast as well. I have respect for other cars, seriously did u just tell me to grow a mullet and buy an fbody? what are you like12? When an arguement doesnt go your way you have get all pissy? Maybe you should grow up some. LS1 would cost 4200 with everything you would need. Here is what one on ebay has.
2001 LS1 engine and T56 six speed transmission out of a WS6 Trans Aim with 65,682 miles. VIN# 2G2FV22G412140994. This is a 2001 engine which has the Corvette LS6 intake. Included are all belt driven accessories, all sensors, starter, exhaust manifolds, computer, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, and engine wiring harness. This is a complete drop out engine. I will also reprogram the computer for a basic engine swap. The vehicle anti theft system will be deleted, and if legal in your state or for off road use I can delete all emission items (rear o2 sensors, air pump, fuel tank pressure sensor, etc). Engine has been cranked, runs excellent and will have a 6 month warranty.

You would need a new driveshaft, exhaust. Thats it. Getting the gauges to work in your mustang would be tricky, but it could be done.

umm probly bc you said we were "immature" for telling you that you have no idea whats involved in this swap... and your cut and paste does nothing for actually gettin the ls1 into the mustang
After a 1 minute search of LS1tech you can modify the 4.6s mounts to fit.
you dont seem to understand.. setting the motor in the bay is the easy part....
The engine itself is probably 70% the size of the 4.6. The computer and wiring harness comes with the engine. All you would need to do is get some wiring diagrams and go to town. It would be time consuming yes, but it can be done, and has been done. There are several foxbodies running LS1s. Not to mention countless other vehicles that have had LS1 swaps. Its not impossible. It would be just as hard as putting an EFI 5.0 in a 4.6, maybe easier.
... just forget it, Ill tell you what, when you get an ls1 in your car, let me know
Old 11-14-2007, 01:09 PM
blownandgone

SOUNDS REASONABLE TO ME ...IT WOULD BE DIFFRENT
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ok so you want to swap out your efficient modular for a beastly pushrod? Sounds reasonable, but are you really going to do it? 350's are the most popular motor out there, people put em in fords and mopars all the time... but those fords/mopars tend to be custom builds of 1930-1950's era cars.

but with technology now and days it's gonna be alot harder to shoehorn almost 100 more cubes (exageration, I know)into your engine bay.

there are better chevy motors out there... check out the LT5, LS7, and the L88...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Fobra
Banned

THANK YOU!!!! CAPTAIN OBVIOUS [8D](really not bieng offensive here, BC ITS OBVIOUS! )

haha but really this is a silly arguement, the facts are clear
Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

I think it's just plain wrong...watch as many youtubestreet race videos as you can involving LS1's and Mustangs of all kinds with various degrees of modifications. I think you'll get the point. LS1's more times than not feed the 'Stangs (Termi's included) their *** and that's the way it is for now. The GM's cost more, save the '03-'04 Cobra and you get what you pay for performance wise. The LS1 is far and awaya better mill than the 2V but I don't think it belongs in a Ford. If you're not a purest then knock yourself out and go ahead. I actually like the look of an '02 SS Camaro and if they didn't cost 25+grand to find a nice stockone I'd have considered buying one. But, I'd rather spend slightly more than half that and do a nice big valve 306 Fox withnosebleedbrakes andsuspension and weight bias mods and have a little fun with the blue oval-bowtie rivalry on the street. The look on their faces is priceless...