4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bypass Valve Not working??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default Bypass Valve Not working??

So since I put my supercharger on I've noticed that it "chirps" alot more than most cars.. I have a standard Procharger bypass valve, I spliced a vacuum line in with a T by the EGR valve and ran it to the bypass valve.. I took it off today and left it hooked to the vacuum line just to see if its working and its not...

THe chirping has just been air "back spooling" through the supercharger..

How do you guys have your bypass valves hooked up?

Where did you splice into what vacuum line?

How big is the line?

I really need help on this, so I appreciate any input

Neil
Old 12-17-2007, 04:07 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Bypass Valve Not working??

TTT
Old 12-17-2007, 05:48 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

A vacuum line from anywhere is going to work. Does your bypass have a adjusting screw in the top? If so back it off or run it in and see if it fixes it.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:52 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99StangGTTN

A vacuum line from anywhere is going to work. Does your bypass have a adjusting screw in the top? If so back it off or run it in and see if it fixes it.
it is an extremely bad idea to mess with the bypass valve adjustment without knowing what your doing.

I dunno specifically what line, but I THINK i spliced it into the same vac line as you did quick, the one coming off the plenum area of the intake. I put a T in the line, and then wrapped all three parts of it with tape.

I used standard size vac line, it came with the vortech kit, but its no bigger than the stock stuff.

How does your bypass hook up on the procharger setup? On the vortech, it goes from after the blower (in the uppipe to the t/b) to just before the blower.

If its not working, you should be getting MASSIVE compressor surge when your running closed throttle and partial throttle conditions, like after you let off the gas (but still in gear) when slowing down. The car should be doing stupid stuff like bucking and trying to die etc with the clutch in.

How do you know its not working? If you hook it up to be on all the time, you might still build some boost up when WOT,just probably not as much. if it hasn't been working it should be real obivous, lots of problems and running terrible when not WOT.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

I fixed the problem...

I was running it off the EGR valve... I know it wasn't working because I took the bypass valve off and while leaving the vacuum line hooked up and looked into the valve...

I think it was working a little bit, just only under a really high pressure situation, kinda like it needed the boost pressure to help push it open because at idle it was for sure staying closed.

Now I'm running it off of a line the I traced from the fuel rail pressure sensor over to the passenger side of the car and it works alot better...

It now stays open at idle, open going down the road, open pretty much anytime I'm not in the throttle i'd say over 60% ...

It sounds alot better now.... Now when you hammer it and let off there is just a swishhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound.... I like it better... Plus i'm sure this way is a lot easier on the head unit.

Thanks for the help though guys...