4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how to remove chip

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:44 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Default how to remove chip

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-4-...uter-chip.html
i have this chip installed, how do i take it out, it was not put in by me so i have no idea, i need it removed to pass emissions b/c it is not allowing me to complete my run cycles any chip install/remove tutorials, i need this thing out soon! i dont even know where the ecu is or how to remove it
Old 12-24-2007, 03:04 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how to remove chip

Take off the kick panel on the passenger side. Take the little screw out that holds the computer bracket on and pull the computer out. It'll be plugged in on the back side.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:09 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

Take off the kick panel on the passenger side. Take the little screw out that holds the computer bracket on and pull the computer out. It'll be plugged in on the back side.
thx ill give it a shot and post up how it goes
Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

got it out, thanks again, now ill have to take it easy driving untuned till this damn computer does all the run cycles
Old 12-24-2007, 07:59 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

did that chip not come w/ a "reflash" tune (factory tune) ??
Old 12-25-2007, 12:44 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i have no idea about factory tune, i pulled it out b/c i was told on svtperformance that the chip wont let the car do run cycles but the programmer will
Old 12-25-2007, 09:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: jEEd

did that chip not come w/ a "reflash" tune (factory tune) ??
[/align][/align]Withpiggyback "chips" (modules), the stock tune is not changed or removed from the PCM memory. [/align][/align]The memory bankson the module are either "switched" so that they disablean internal PCM memory databank and overlay it with memory from the module--or--disable the entire onboard PROM and use the daughterboard code and data. This is done by using internal ROM/RAM enable/disable signals that are available on the daughterboard connector.[/align][/align]The OEM tune just sits there unused, and it automatically enabled when the module is unplugged as the OP has done. This is arguably a better way to do it than completely reflashing the onboard EPROM...[/align]
Old 12-25-2007, 09:21 AM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Withpiggyback "chips" (modules), the stock tune is not changed or removed from the PCM memory.
[/align]
[/align]The memory bankson the module are either "switched" so that they disablean internal PCM memory databank and overlay it with memory from the module--or--disable the entire onboard PROM and use the daughterboard code and data. This is done by using internal ROM/RAM enable/disable signals that are available on the daughterboard connector.
[/align]
[/align]The OEM tune just sits there unused, and it automatically enabled when the module is unplugged as the OP has done. This is arguably a better way to do it than completely reflashing the onboard EPROM...
wow i had to read this like three times to really start a hint of understanding. now do all chips do that? or just his chip and the tune thats on it?
Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: darcnytemare
wow i had to read this like three times to really start a hint of understanding. now do all chips do that? or just his chip and the tune thats on it?
[/align][/align]All that I have seen or read about work this way, if you are going to reflash the onboard EPROM (as done with handhelds, the Sniper interface, etc.) there's no reason to have a daughterboard.[/align][/align]The BIG advantage is the ability to just unplug (a somewhat time-consumingtask) or disable the module and be back to the OEM tune...[/align] [/align][/align]The best way to envision this is to think of a single socketed chip, which you could remove and replace with another. The daughter board just carries this a step further and has the replacement chip permanently socketed and wired up, the OEM chip is disabled and the replacement chip enabled via control signals available on the J3 connector (which Ford was nice enough to provide)... [/align]