4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intercooler Ideas and Sites appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Coleone

Default Intercooler Ideas and Sites appreciated

Looking into aftermarker intercoolers for a vortech Superharger , fitted on a 96 4 valve 4.6 anyone know any good sites, also thinking of the idea of fabbing one up myself for a front mount...whatyall think?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:07 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Intercooler Ideas and Sites appreciated

I am in the process (about 1/2 way there) of doing a DIY FMIC setup. If you don't have good confidence and plenty of mechanical background I do NOT recommend doing a DIY kit.

There is alot you have to do... you need to cut the bumper support (if you get a big cooler) route the pipe, weld some of the pipe, weld a small pipe onto the big one and a flange for a new bypass valve, etc etc.

Your going to need a new bypass, because chances are the stock vortech one will cause problems, I highly recommend the vortech mini race. Its also a good time to upgrade to a power pipe, as installing the intercooler will drop the boost a bit.

I got mine from the ebay company "cx racing". Got the cooler, pipe, and all the little stuff like couplers/clamps (t bolt ftw) etc from them. I have about 800 bucks in the kit total, incuding the power pipe and mini race. Without the mini race/power pipe the paxton kit alone for a GT is around 1400 bucks (so figure 1800 with pipe/bypass), but it would require alot less fabbing and work.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Hey Coleone, i have pretty much the same setup as you. I have a 1997 GT with a vortech SQ trim and like 2000 said i run a paxton intercooler with a vortech mini race. No problems whatsoever and great quality.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
blowngt2419
1st Gear Member

yea id go with a paxton intercooler and upgrade your bypass valve im currently installing my vortech mini race on my paxton blower
Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I am in the process (about 1/2 way there) of doing a DIY FMIC setup. If you don't have good confidence and plenty of mechanical background I do NOT recommend doing a DIY kit.

There is alot you have to do... you need to cut the bumper support (if you get a big cooler) route the pipe, weld some of the pipe, weld a small pipe onto the big one and a flange for a new bypass valve, etc etc.

Your going to need a new bypass, because chances are the stock vortech one will cause problems, I highly recommend the vortech mini race. Its also a good time to upgrade to a power pipe, as installing the intercooler will drop the boost a bit.

I got mine from the ebay company "cx racing". Got the cooler, pipe, and all the little stuff like couplers/clamps (t bolt ftw) etc from them. I have about 800 bucks in the kit total, incuding the power pipe and mini race. Without the mini race/power pipe the paxton kit alone for a GT is around 1400 bucks (so figure 1800 with pipe/bypass), but it would require alot less fabbing and work.
I got the same kit from cx racing. I requested black hoses, and they only had straights in black, so they gave me some extra straights and clamps with no charge. I'm hoping I won't have to weld anything... I'm running a BOV and blow-thru maf, and I have all the adapters with pre-welded bungs for these. If you could, take lots of pictures... I will be doing the install at the beginning of summer, and I could use all the help I could get.

OP, the ebay kit looks nice and it is cheap, so you should definately consider it.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I would check out www.modularpowerhouse.com/forums that's were I got the information when I did my FMIC.