4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Motor mounts...grr!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Angry Motor mounts...grr!!

Looking for any pointers anyone might have. I'm in the middle of replacing the motor mounts on my 2003 GT with OEM mounts and boy what a PITA this process is. So far I've replaced the driver side mount, but I can't seem to get the "alignment" nub to seat in place. Actually it's far from the hole it needs to end up sitting in. I haven't even gotten started on the passenger side; when I jack up the motor (using a block of wood under the oil pan) only the driver side of the motor wants to come up, not the passenger side. I've only gotten the passenger side to raise maybe 1/4".

How do I get the passenger side to rise? I realize that perhaps the added weight of the blower on the passenger side is making that side want to stay put and pivot instead of rise. To help, I just now disconnected all piping related to the blower, and I'll see in the morning if that helps any (in case previously the piping was binding).

So, anyone have any advice as to how to get the passenger side to rise so that I can swap the mount? And how to get the nubs in the mounts to seat properly?

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

I would say just unbolt and drop the k member, while holding the engine up with a jack.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i was able to get mine in but i had to man handle the motor, jacking it in different spots, using two trani jacks... but i had the luxury of a lift at the time. It was a PIA, just keep moving **** around and trying different angles with the motor and twisting it and stuff. they can go in without having to pull the k-member but its a pain
Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Thank you. I got it, just took a bit of patience. I didn't drop the k-member. I just used a floor jack and a block of wood. All the piping I unconnected, plus moving the jack an inch toward the passenger side made the passenger side lift up perfectly and it was no problem.

Really uncomfortable tightening the rear mount bolts due to the ridiculous angle you have to hold your ratchet (using a swivel). As for the seating of the nub, the passenger side lined up perfectly. As for the driver side, I read about people using engine hoists and positioning the engine, using prybars, and on and on...all I did was lift the engine 1/4" and let the jack release quickly, so as to let the engine fall (barely) with a bit of force and the weight made it seat right where it needed to be. Whew.