4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I bougtht new tires and i don't like em

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Ahamaha
1st Gear Member

Default I bougtht new tires and i don't like em

He fellas,
i bought new tires today, Fuzion ZRI's. Mainly because of the price and the reviews on www.tirerack.com and compared to my old stock Goodear Z45's, they don't drive as good. The wheel seams to be stiffer to turn and the car seams seams go more from side to side of the road. It's like the sidewall isn't stiff enough.

I know a lot of you guys talk about Nitto's and BFG KDW's, but i thought i didn't need a good track tire, i only wanted a tire for good fast easy driving on public roads and lots of highway.

I could have easily afforded better tires but i thought i had a steal on these one...I researched it troughout the internet too....

Anyways, i can't beleave it!! .... this could really effect my enjoyment of driving my baby

But i hope this is all im my head and soon enough i'll grow to like em. If someone has anything to say about these tires please feel free.

Also, i have videos of me burning out my old ones and doing some major freestyle burnouts .... wicked fun and too cool... freestyle burnouts should be a X-game event!! I'll post them once their ready.

Later

Old 07-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: I bougtht new tires and i don't like em

You actually want the sidewalls on tires to 'roll' on the wheel.

They are cheap for areason!
Old 07-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Ahamaha
1st Gear Member

Do you mean that the side of the tire should be rounded and not vertical flat?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

When you are cornering, you want the tire to 'roll'. Did you buy 245's again? Did you go a size wider? If so, that could be why you feel as if your car is pulling side to side, your grabbing more dips, potholes, etc.

I didn't know there was a difference from burn outs and freestyle burnouts either [8D]
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 PM
sllt1776
1st Gear Member

sometimes you get what you pay for. maybe you can sell them and buy some other ones you may like better.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 AM
UrHookUp
1st Gear Member

I use Yokohama AVS Sports on my Cobra.
Hook great & corners great.
I have 265/35/18 front & 295/35/18 on rear for street. I have another set of 315/30/18 for rear for track.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

You actually want the sidewalls on tires to 'roll' on the wheel.
...Only to a point. Some sidewall flex is needed to help the tire adhere to the pavement. -But you reach a point of diminishing returns quickly, and at that point the extra 'roll' will hurt your car's performance. That is why the highest performance streetcars come with tires with a very short sidewall, -to help reduce cornering 'roll' of the tires. So, you want the sidewalls to flex a little, but not roll. The more performance oriented the suspension and chassis on a car are, the more sidewall flex hurts you.
Anyways, i can't beleave it!! .... this could really effect my enjoyment of driving my baby

Sometimes companies will allow you to return tires if you are not satisfied. I would persue this route. At very least they might be willing to pro-rate them toward a new tire you are happy with. That's what I would do. -Nothing more frusterating than crappy tires you don't like.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:44 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

from my experience with a few sets of new tires, they always suck at the beginning and improve with a few thousand miles.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Don't forget that many (most) new tires (ie, sticker tires) do not start to handle up to their potential until they are "scuffed up" a bit first. I know my Falkins were **** poor bad when I first ran them. I almost went off the road the first corner I hit moderately hard! Once I had broken the new rubber seal so to speak, the tires started to handle altogether different. Drive your tires a little and scuff them on level pavement. I am sure that is not a problem for the average Mustang driver to accomplish.

If the car is pulling to one side or another too much then you may have a poor balancing issue and/or bad alignment issue. Are the tires unidirectional? You may have to swop one front tire for a rear to get the car to track properly. This happens many times when you first install new tires. Or, you might have gotten "out-of-round" tires which can also happen. Best thing to do then is to return the tires to Tire Rack and have them replaced. I have heard of even the most expensive tires being out-of-round at times where they had to be returned. If you sense something is really off, go back to where you had them installed and tell them exactly what they are doing. Usually they can then smell out the problem for you. Good luck!