4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

do high quality pads + rotors = cobra equiv breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I am with Bramas.. I don't understand wtf that guy just said.

As for Mustang PA -- AM has my respect too, but not enough to make me shell out $630 for something that i can get for $385... Try letting other places earn your respect. AM doesn't carry everything you need. You'll eventually need to venture outside the box...
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

my only problem with that is used vs new. sure you can get something used for a decent price, but IMO i've had way better luck with new parts.

i'd consider gettin the cobra kit used for under 400$, but finding a seller is the hard part - with new you dont have to wait and you know what your getting and the 200 extra reflects that.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
What's "winter"?

Kidding aside I lived in Plymouth for 45 of my years, where are you in MA?
Cliff, I'm out of Wilmington MA...Plymouth is about 45min to 1hr from me. My Aunt and Uncle live down there.

I think, when the time comes, I'll get some new rotors and Hawk HPS pads. My buddy got rotors from here and had the for a month on his 04 Mach 1..so far so good:

link is to the GT rotors not Mach:
http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...7030&dv=041910

lifetime warrenty against defects and warping, I may go that rout when I need to replace them.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
my only problem with that is used vs new. sure you can get something used for a decent price, but IMO i've had way better luck with new parts.

i'd consider gettin the cobra kit used for under 400$, but finding a seller is the hard part - with new you dont have to wait and you know what your getting and the 200 extra reflects that.
-BuyFordRacing bullitt calipers loaded with pads and mounting brackets - $209 NEW
- 2 blank 13" rotors from lethal performance i believe? - $115
- SS lines from AM IF YOU WANT THEM - $65 after discount

So thats $389 for everything new... Now tell me which method sounds better
Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

if the funds are there i would go with what hpwrestler suggested. but if they are not how come everybody is so against powerslot rotors and hawk pads?? i'm not comparing this to cobra brakes, but they are a nice upgrade over stock pads and rotors. i have em on my car and they are night and day compared to stock. thats just my .02 cents. cobra brakes are cool, but why do you need them for daily driving??
Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt
if the funds are there i would go with what hpwrestler suggested. but if they are not how come everybody is so against powerslot rotors and hawk pads?? i'm not comparing this to cobra brakes, but they are a nice upgrade over stock pads and rotors. i have em on my car and they are night and day compared to stock. thats just my .02 cents. cobra brakes are cool, but why do you need them for daily driving??
You're right, it is a good upgrade. It is better than the stock brakes. I did something similar like I said before. I'm just saying, if you're into modding your mustang and what not, you're going in 6 months wish your brakes were even better. For daily driving, your stock brakes will do the trick obviously or ford wouldn't have sold the mustang with them on. The way I'm looking at it is if you're going to spend that money, why not spend a little more (I Know you said you don't have it right now, so wait a little and save up), and just buy the real deal. 389 isn't that bad... either way, which ever route you take, goodluck
Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Exclamation F##K I'm tired.

I'm to tied and lazy to read even the OP first post and all the consecutive...

Based on the thread title:

No & Yes but more no than yes. Que?

• The Cobras extra inch in the size of the rotors helps dissipate heat for more consistency. Dual piston is a great upgrade from the 94-98 single piston calipers. (99+ do have a dual piston system)
  • Sometimes people are mislead by thinking there is dramatically more contact surface with a larger brake system, this is false. The contact surface is almost always only marginally more.
  • Ceramic brakes if they are deemed as High performance is for the most part, full of Sh#t. Ceramic is for less dust and bi is for better stopping but wear quickly and sh#t corrosive dust everywhere. (See ** annotation at end)
  • Drilled rotors are the "Second type of cool" only and does nothing for performance. Whens the last time you seen an indy car or nascar with holes in their rotors?
  • Slotted rotors are functional and help shave and maintain consistent pad surface for better pad to rotor surface contact... It also does some heat dissipation but this is a minor & secondary effect.
  • Stainless lines help tremendously at the top of the pedal to give solid braking and less top sponge effect.

Can a stock 99+caliper work as well as a Cobra style? sure it can, so long as the caveat is talking about stock cobra's compared to modified GT's. These upgrades would be, Nice Bi pads, stainless lines, and good slotted rotors. We're talking about NORMAL driving conditions. Add any sort of track conditions were your brakes are employed, no way.

**This is very important; Wash your wheels, brake dust is very corrosive. Even if you have high quality chrome wheels, brake dust can eat right through them. If you have a Tai/China wheel like AFS or almost ANY replica, you have a clear coat and that clear coat just loves turning yellow and peeling off at the slightest touch of brake dust. Keep your wheels clean and waxed or treated.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 04-29-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

awesome post. really needed that. good info.
copy & pasting into my clipboard of ever usefull information.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
I'm to tied and lazy to read even the OP first post and all the consecutive...

Based on the thread title:

No & Yes but more no than yes. Que?

• The Cobras extra inch in the size of the rotors helps dissipate heat for more consistency. Dual piston is a great upgrade from the 94-98 single piston calipers. (99+ do have a dual piston system)
  • Sometimes people are mislead by thinking there is dramatically more contact surface with a larger brake system, this is false. The contact surface is almost always only marginally more.
  • Ceramic brakes if they are deemed as High performance is for the most part, full of Sh#t. Ceramic is for less dust and bi is for better stopping but wear quickly and sh#t corrosive dust everywhere. (See ** annotation at end)
  • Drilled rotors are the "Second type of cool" only and does nothing for performance. Whens the last time you seen an indy car or nascar with holes in their rotors?
  • Slotted rotors are functional and help shave and maintain consistent pad surface for better pad to rotor surface contact... It also does some heat dissipation but this is a minor & secondary effect.
  • Stainless lines help tremendously at the top of the pedal to give solid braking and less top sponge effect.

Can a stock 99+caliper work as well as a Cobra style? sure it can, so long as the caveat is talking about stock cobra's compared to modified GT's. These upgrades would be, Nice Bi pads, stainless lines, and good slotted rotors. We're talking about NORMAL driving conditions. Add any sort of track conditions were your brakes are employed, no way.

**This is very important; Wash your wheels, brake dust is very corrosive. Even if you have high quality chrome wheels, brake dust can eat right through them. If you have a Tai/China wheel like AFS or almost ANY replica, you have a clear coat and that clear coat just loves turning yellow and peeling off at the slightest touch of brake dust. Keep your wheels clean and waxed or treated.
God Damnt.

That explains the clearcoat peeling then....I never knew that. Granted, I cleaned them once a week but by the end of the week they were covered in brake dust...FML.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

^^^^ need anybody say more???