4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM
vanchilds

Default Coolant Sensor Question

My low coolant light came on. I checked the reservoir and its full. I drove the car for a good 2 hours with no change in the engine temp. If I wiggle the sensor or unhook it the Check Engine light comes on. My question is that this sensor I found

http://www.bestvalueautoparts.com/Re...hes and Relays

is not the same as the one on my 98 GT. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
MikeInCape
2nd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by vanchilds
My low coolant light came on. I checked the reservoir and its full. I drove the car for a good 2 hours with no change in the engine temp. If I wiggle the sensor or unhook it the Check Engine light comes on. My question is that this sensor I found

http://www.bestvalueautoparts.com/Re...hes and Relays

is not the same as the one on my 98 GT. Any help would be appreciated.
You said you are a GT, correct? 4.6l?

The page you are looking at reads at the top 1996 V6 (3.8l)

I would figure the sensors are different V6 - V8.

http://www.bestvalueautoparts.com/Sh...Relays&mode=PA

Is the link for the V8... Look through the sensors. You will be looking for a "switch" as it only does off and on for coolant level. I will try to look at mine when I go outside (1998 GT) to work on it, and see if I can identify the correct one for you.

Have you looked anywhere else other than this site? Autozone, NAPA, Ebay?

-Mike

Last edited by MikeInCape; 03-31-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM
vanchilds

Its the same sensor regardless....good eye...I should have seen that before I posted
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 AM
MikeInCape
2nd Gear Member

Its the same sensor regardless....good eye...I should have seen that before I posted
Juuust trying to help...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 AM
vanchilds

Maybe being a newb I am looking at the wrong thing. The only sensor that comes off the coolant reservoir looks a lot like the engine coolant temp switch. So maybe my ignorance is shining through and I am looking in the wrong spot.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
MikeInCape
2nd Gear Member

Maybe being a newb I am looking at the wrong thing. The only sensor that comes off the coolant reservoir looks a lot like the engine coolant temp switch. So maybe my ignorance is shining through and I am looking in the wrong spot.
I was wondering if you saw that part of the msg.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:59 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Did the car get wet recently rain/wash?? Typical for it to come on
Old 06-18-2010, 06:30 AM
mikeh77586

I am sure that you have probably resolved the coolant sensor question by now. But I may have something to add that would help someone else. I replaced my coolant sensor 3 times before finding the correct one. I know there is a better way, I just haven't found it, or maybe I have. I have found that there are 3 different sensors that can be picked from for the '96 GT 4.6. Here are the differences. The 1st is a single conductor type sensor. Now from what I have since learned, the single conductor sensor should be listed for the V-6 and not the 4.6 GT or Cobra. But depending on the parts house, some do have it listed as an option. The 2nd is the 2 conductor that is actually for the 4.6 GT but not for the Cobra. Lastly, the 3rd is also a 2 conductor that should be for the Cobra and not the GT. From what I was told all three are options for all three models depending on where you buy your parts. The basic visual difference between the sensor for the GT and the Cobra is that the plug guide on the rear of the sensor for the GT in the dead center of the back. Where as the plug guide for the one for the Cobra is slightly slanted and is not centered but is located midpoint between the right rear and center of the back of the sensor. For whomever reads this post, when you get ready to purchase your sensor be sure to take a good looked at the rear plug guide or just remove the coolant sensor and take it to the parts house for comparison. Remember the coolant sensors for the GT and the Cobra are both 2 conductor, look to be Identical, with the exception of the rear plug guide. And BTW, if you get the idea to simply file down the rear plug guide so that it will fit the plug (which I did!!). Three things are guaranteed to happen. 1. The check engine light will come on, 2. The gauges will have erratic readings, and 3. The sensor has shut the off the power to your A/C compressor. So now you will have no A/C until you get the correct sensor installed. After all of this, it wasn’t the coolant temperature sensor at all. It was a dirty and bungled coolant reservoir level sensor. Once I cleaned it up so that it could make a good solid connection, my instrument light went out.

Good Luck!!
Mike