4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Loosing power??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:30 AM
2003DSGT
1st Gear Member

Default Loosing power??

So i know im a newbie and everything so dont kill me to bad if i mess something up or dont do something right, im still learning. N e ways 2 weeks ago i got something that every 18 year old could only dream of 2003 DSG GT and i love it. It had a couple problems here n there (guy before me had dvd player so head liners messed up, he had an aftermarket radio n decided it would just be cool to cut all the wires [:@] so since i got it i have been driving with no radio. wich is fine with me lol) well i also didnt quite feel the power that i thought i should be getting from this V8 so i figure 36,000 dont know how well the other guy took care of it, maybe just some fuel injector cleaner well help things.... nope..... figured running 93 octane might help .... a little but not much.... Well when getting on it one day shifting from 2nd to 3rd i heard belt slip :/.... so i guess my question is do i just buy a gator back belt ??? or could it be something else and that or is that really even that big of a deal or just a common little problem??? i have big plans for this thing and i just wanted to make sure everything is running like it should be before i start doing other mods and not seeing the results im expecting.... or am i just thinkin to highly of a stock GT... plz let me know (sorry about the length) ** I ll post pictures hopefully buy tomorow nite...

Thanks Keelan
Old 09-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Loosing power??

First, you posted in the wrong forum.

This is Forum Issues, Help and Feedback. [&:] Not Tech help.

I will move this to the right forum for you.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:20 PM
nufan11
1st Gear Member

Did you think about just taking it to a mechanic and having it looked at? Just an overall evaluation, tell them your thinking of buying it and you want it looked at.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:28 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

I feel dumb asking, but what does DSG mean?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:15 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

It's the color of the car. DSG = dark shadow grey.

I would take the car to a mechanic and see if everything is good. I mean the GT's aren't super fast stock, but you should feel atleast some power.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:12 PM
2003DSGT
1st Gear Member

Yea i was thinking of a mechanic, feel dumb for asking but just like anyplace?? tires plus ?? jiffy lube ?? local place?? and how much am i looking at for them to just look at it...

I was also wondering if i have belt slipage should i just get a gator back belt?? and i was thinking of changin the spark plugs to to ngk irdium plugs??? thats for the help and any other inputs would be greatly appriciated !!
Old 09-05-2005, 04:31 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2003DSGT

i have big plans for this thing and i just wanted to make sure everything is running like it should be before i start doing other mods and not seeing the results im expecting

ORIGINAL: 2003DSGT

Yea i was thinking of a mechanic, feel dumb for asking but just like anyplace?? tires plus ?? jiffy lube ?? local place?? and how much am i looking at for them to just look at it...
I was also wondering if i have belt slipage should i just get a gator back belt?? and i was thinking of changin the spark plugs to to ngk irdium plugs??? thats for the help and any other inputs would be greatly appriciated !!

These are contradicting statements. I assume since you are 18, this is your only car to drive, aka daily driver.(Correct me if I am wrong). Anywho, if it is your daily driver, you should make sure the car is running the best that it possibly can be for a stock GT with 'x' amount of miles. Once you get the bugs worked out of the drivetrain and other neccessities, you must realize that the aftermarket for the 4.6 is not exactly a man and his wallet's best friend. Parts for your car won't be cheap, be it suspension, engine, or cosmetic mods. So you may want to take that into consideration. My personal opinion is that you should have the car thoroughly looked over no matter the price. (Barring someone trying to rip you off)
Old 09-05-2005, 04:54 PM
2003DSGT
1st Gear Member

I didn't mean it to sound like that... I just want to know how much it's going to cost, thats all. Maybe if someone else did it they could give me an estimate im not sayin if it was to much i would just forget about it... and i know that modifications arent goin to be something cheap but thats the hole part of customizing a car is working for it and appreciating the work you have done to get there.... so im sorry if it sounded conradicting but it wasnt ment to be.