4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
03FASTGT
1st Gear Member

Default Fuel Pumps

It's to my understanding that it would be safer to upgrade my pump when spraying 125 shot, but I am confused if I should go to this "SVT Focus Pump" and where to find the one everyone is talking about? I'm sure there is some replicas or cheaper models, that should be avoided.

Does anyone have a real one?, and has evidence that it is actually running more fuel than stock throughout all RPM ranges? Just dont want to pull my tank and install a knockoff or something.

If anyone has any other fuel pump suggestions let me know.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by 03FASTGT; 10-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
03FASTGT
1st Gear Member

So I want to say I found it the Ford part number is 3S4Z-9H307-BC and Motorcraft part number PFS-204.

Where is the cheapest place to get it? I'm seeing some ridiculous mark-ups.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

http://www.lethalperformance.com/99-...5_721_727_6282

They have some great stuff...and their prices are right in the ball park. The focus pump should def be enough for you w/ just a 125 shot since im guessing you're just basic bolt ons?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

is this the only thing your going to do to your car for the long run? Why buy another larger pump down the road after you twin turbo or kenne bell it? Think about your long term HP goals, and the overall idea of the car, 125 shot is ok for now, what about a 20psi compound setup...that pump isn't going to cut it. Just throwing some ideas out there for ya, buy big, and plan correctly, you won't buy twice, or end up short.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

SVT focus pumps are great, toss on a kenne bell boost a pump and your good for the stock limit of your bottom end (SVT focus pump alone might get you there too, all depends on the tune)

you can get SVT focus pumps for under $100... not exactly a huge investment compared to ANYTHING else available... especially since its pretty much just a drop in replacement of the stock pump...

and if you were gunna go huge numbers (600+), i'd say ditch the returnless setup all together and go with a dual pump return style system with a sumped tank...

there's 2 things i'd consider a "downfall" of the SVT focus pump... one is the fact that there's a stupid plastic tank inside your fuel tank thats smaller than a coffee can (its stock purpose is to act like a cheapo fuel sump), if you stay at WOT too long you can easily empty that tank, causing a fuel starvation situation... causes car to go lean = boom... the second is sorta a part of the above... if you decide to "correct" this feature, by drilling holes in the bucket, you need to keep the tank 1/4 of the way full or you could starve the pump simply from acceleration...

Last edited by zero2005; 10-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
03FASTGT
1st Gear Member

My plans arent that huge for the near future. Just upgraded heads, stock bottom end. 125 shot, 11.9-12.2 1/4 mile car.

Zero where are you seeing this pump for under $100, I've seen some fakes. The cheapest legit place I found had it for 179.99, and that fuel starvation problem kind of scares me, how long does that take to drain? I'm not really keen on keeping 1/4 tank in at all times..

Do you run one yourself?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

yea i run a SVT pump for now, but im in the process of getting my car back together after throwing 2 rods out the side of the block...

cant say how long it takes for that tank to run out, but unless your running WOT for more than a minute or two then there's no problem.

i got mine off this forum, i confirmed the part number from ford.

occasionally you'll see them around 120$, i'll see if i can do some searching around for one. its really the only available upgrade for the fuel system, unless you wanna spend 600+ on a dual fuel hat (which has the same 1/4 problem as the bucket with holes unless you have a cobra tank) and pumps or 1000$ for a sumped tank. the only OTHER option would be a kenne bell boost-a-pump. and honestly, at that point i'd mix the SVT pump and the KB BAP to really kick it up a notch. i just REALLY hate the returnless setup... its got alot of flaws unless your talking using an 03/04 cobra tank.

cant seem to find much for "real" pumps, seems like there's a huge surge of these "fake" svt pumps. one more reason i like the sumped tank vs returnless... you could just throw on a pair of walbro's @ 100$ each and have a fuel system capable of some serious numbers.

i did find this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SVT-F...item3f0e2c9086

i would almost feel comfortable running that, as long as it was on a car that was running less than 9lbs boost, or a 125 shot or less.

if i wasnt in need of my SVT pump for now, i'd sell it to you lol.

edit: oh and there's also the ford GT supercar pump. the problem is that you need to make some "modifications" to get it to fit the stock basket i think. there's a few write-ups out there for it if your interested or can find one cheap.

Last edited by zero2005; 10-06-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:12 PM
03FASTGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
yea i run a SVT pump for now, but im in the process of getting my car back together after throwing 2 rods out the side of the block...

cant say how long it takes for that tank to run out, but unless your running WOT for more than a minute or two then there's no problem.

i got mine off this forum, i confirmed the part number from ford.

occasionally you'll see them around 120$, i'll see if i can do some searching around for one. its really the only available upgrade for the fuel system, unless you wanna spend 600+ on a dual fuel hat (which has the same 1/4 problem as the bucket with holes unless you have a cobra tank) and pumps or 1000$ for a sumped tank. the only OTHER option would be a kenne bell boost-a-pump. and honestly, at that point i'd mix the SVT pump and the KB BAP to really kick it up a notch. i just REALLY hate the returnless setup... its got alot of flaws unless your talking using an 03/04 cobra tank.

cant seem to find much for "real" pumps, seems like there's a huge surge of these "fake" svt pumps. one more reason i like the sumped tank vs returnless... you could just throw on a pair of walbro's @ 100$ each and have a fuel system capable of some serious numbers.

i did find this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SVT-F...item3f0e2c9086

i would almost feel comfortable running that, as long as it was on a car that was running less than 9lbs boost, or a 125 shot or less.

if i wasnt in need of my SVT pump for now, i'd sell it to you lol.

edit: oh and there's also the ford GT supercar pump. the problem is that you need to make some "modifications" to get it to fit the stock basket i think. there's a few write-ups out there for it if your interested or can find one cheap.
Haha ****! Did you have a stock bottom end? I see your boosted, did you spike and go lean? What kind of power were you pushing on that bottom end before she blew?

I think i'll just get the SVT Pump and get a bap if I need it. If you do come across one for for sale and cheaper then 179.99 shoot me a PM!

Last edited by 03FASTGT; 10-06-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

was running a tune built for 9psi, spiked to 13 psi. im thinking it could have been a combo of failures/problems.

1 is the boost spike, i noticed that the boost had been occasionally spiking to 10+ psi, probably due to my manual boost controller sticking. i'm running a Joe P inline, a decent quality spring/ball adjustable MBC, not one of those cheapo bleeder type... still, MBC = not good...

2 is probably that due to the nature of the MBC spiking, i could have been running out of fuel up top. i was running at WOT for a good bit of time, i cant remember how long, but i peaked out over 100 mph IIRC. been so long. was racing some acura i think. this could be explained by the fact that the 2 pistons that failed, were the 2 farthest from the fuel pump (fuel starvation = lean = boom).

the damage was pretty bad. the #1 piston rod let go after some sever damage, it actually cracked the piston wall, welded the piston rings together, coolant in the oil pan, 2 small holes from the rods knocking into the wall... i have the #1 piston in my living room as a reminder... as well as the #5 piston which remained mostly intact with the exception of being severed mid-rod...

if i had known that the piston had done so much damage i would have ordered a long block instead of a short block, i ordered the short block first, then managed to get my block disassembled, not knowing the damage done to the head. so on top i had to order heads... decided hey, why not get upgraded boost springs, valves and toss in a set of stage 2 cams on top? so yep that happend too lol...

got motor together and running back in april, but a small peice of alum left over from the previous explosion got sucked from my intake manifold into the #1 cylinder... this caused the small peice of metal to hit the cylinder head, causing the whole head to jump, the rocker pop off the valve/lash adjuster... damage from that? bent valve...

so right now, i've got the new valve in (stock valve from old head, since i had PLENTY left over luckily lol) and had it running back in august, BUT i had some pretty bad back firing and it smelled like it was running pretty rich... called up about a tune, and basically i was told that it should be a fine tune, but to check the O2 sensors as well as remove the old gas thats been in the tank, for almost a year...

lol long story huh? would help if i wasnt deployed 6 months out of a year, and TDY 4 out of the other 6...

and my BMW just got towed b/c the radiator popped and i had to leave it at a sears in the parking lot prior to a trip to Spain... if its too much money im gunna ditch that and go and find a fox or 3rd gen camaro...