4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

installing turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Have you considered a supercharger? Its a good route to go, easier install...still need a dyno tune and fuel pump/injectors, but you wont hve to get into modified exhaust. Then you can stll run long tube headers as well. You can get the centrifugal type that bolt on the front of the engine or for more $$ a roots type blower that mounts where the intake manifold is.. Do your research and find out what ya like, the chicks will come and go, the Mustang is forever!!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM
motormanimatt

so i cant modifie longtube or shorttube headers later downt he road?, cause that is the first thing i wanted to do to my car besides the new rims and tires im about to order, im trying to make my car sound as good as possible, im redoing all of my exuast with new piping but doing headers first cause how hard it is. but after that im going to get a computer programmer, do i need a very specific one for my turbo, or can i adjust my programmer later downt he road when i do upgrades? and couldnt i mount my turbos after my longtube headers? and thank you guys for the advice
Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by motormanimatt
so i cant modifie longtube or shorttube headers later downt he road?, cause that is the first thing i wanted to do to my car besides the new rims and tires im about to order, im trying to make my car sound as good as possible, im redoing all of my exuast with new piping but doing headers first cause how hard it is. but after that im going to get a computer programmer, do i need a very specific one for my turbo, or can i adjust my programmer later downt he road when i do upgrades? and couldnt i mount my turbos after my longtube headers? and thank you guys for the advice
LT's go way down low to where your h-pipe is, you'd have to run a rear mount setup, which would have turbo lag, and increase weight, and complexity.

if your going to cut them up, do you honestly feel like it would be worth it? look at the price tag of some generic LT's, do you really feel they are worth it? if you want long tubes get a supercharger. a turbo places more back pressure on the hotside pre-turbo (the piping between the turbo and engine), and LT's are optimized for flow. and while good flow is good for a turbo, shorter runs are better for spool.

space wise you'd be losing alot. you'll pretty much need a tubular k-member and a-arms, as well as coilovers as it is.

if your serious about this, either drop the money on a kit, or build it yourself. with the questions your asking, no offense, but i seriously doubt your gunna do it. just LOOK at the engine bay and you'll understand alot of the space requirements.

a turbo will quiet the exhaust somewhat and will change the note of the car. there's no getting around that. think about it, your essentially sticking a water wheel in the path of the exhaust. if you want the sound note, again, go supercharger. just look at ANY turbo kit, you'll notice that the headers are all short tube, you want less length than anything else.

with longtubes where exactly do you think your gunna mount the turbo? what about the downpipe? what size piping? how's it gunna fit? what sort of connection are you going to use? what if you need to take it out? how much boost are you going to run? where are you looking for power (low end, mid, upper RPMs?) what size turbo?

as for a tuner, you have a couple options. first off, realize that you'll most likely need a dyno tune. thats big bucks. anywhere from $500-1000. you want a quality tune, not some cheapo off the shelf tune. those mail order tunes wont tune your car for any sort of boost, read the fine print. you can get either the handheld type tuner, or a plug in chip. the guy tuning your car will offer you either most likely. the chip is usually cheaper, but you wont have any options to change yourself, and you'll need to bring it back to the guy doing the tune to have it changed. a hand held (like SCT's X-cal) will allow the tuner to change values and load them into the CPU itself, and allow you to modify certain values and read/clear codes.

the other option for tuning is a completely new dedicated or parallel ECU system. these are typically NOT street legal, and most likely will not pass emissions. examples are Megasquirt, FAST, AEM. FAST and AEM are 2-3k alone... megasquirt will run you 500$, but you have to solder it yourself and rewire your entire motor, and will eliminate things like automatic transmission control, speedometer, tachometer (you can run separate gauges). or you could run a parallel install which basically makes the ford ECU the brain for the basic stuff like cruise control, speedometer and other stuff inside the car, while the megasquirt only controls fuel and spark...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

This guy above me has it right man, go jump on theturboforums and read around over their. Then decide if you have the fabrication skills. Ive been under your hood, installed a procharger on one, theirs not alot of room.

My car, GTO, has about the same amount of room, i shoe horned a front mount turbo kit for it, it took me every bit of 7 months to do it, alot of cutting, trying, scrapping, buying new. etc. Just because you can weld doesnt mean you can fabricate.

Trust me, i can weld, some, lol. But fabricating was a whole new animal. Your picking a hard first project, also, like he said, if your looking for sound, get a supercharger.

The mustang i put a procharger on

and my Turbo Gto i built

Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 PM
motormanimatt

ok thank you guys looks like im asking my boss for a raise this week lol, i know basics of turbos and how they work, just was not sure if the computer needed to tuning for low boost and stuff. My myne project is headers, i want the best sound, so im not sure if the long or short headers will sound better. but i think i will hold of on the turbo kit or super till i have the money and time to invest. but for now im goign with headers and new rims, and going to get a chip or programer to up my performance of my car.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Good choice. Start small and work your way up. American muscle sells the handhelds, along with brenspeed and places lke that. I just installed my tune from Brenspeed and its a noticeable difference to me. If you get LT's outta the box your pretty much setting up for going S/C, and there is nothing wrong with that!

Originally Posted by motormanimatt
ok thank you guys looks like im asking my boss for a raise this week lol, i know basics of turbos and how they work, just was not sure if the computer needed to tuning for low boost and stuff. My myne project is headers, i want the best sound, so im not sure if the long or short headers will sound better. but i think i will hold of on the turbo kit or super till i have the money and time to invest. but for now im goign with headers and new rims, and going to get a chip or programer to up my performance of my car.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Totally agree, you'll want long tubes for a SC anyway, good choice my man. Best of luck on your future mods