4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

'01 GT Crank, but no start... where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Default '01 GT Crank, but no start... where to begin?

I drove the car last week, exactly 7 days ago and then put it in the garage.... now I went to start it today and it cranks over really good (has a recent battery), but doesn't start. I looked and don't see anything disconnected and I checked the fuses that would apply (ignition, fuel pump) and all are good. I checked the fuel pump kill switch in the trunk and it's not popped.

Where do I begin?

I almost hate to mention it, but just a few weeks ago I had a shop work on it to figure out why the A/C wouldn't turn on and they did replace the relay module that's in the passenger-side front fender... I don't even know how to get to that to check it and I hope it's not that, since it's a $300 part.

HELP!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:56 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

the relay module you speak of i belive is called a Constant Control Relay Module. its a box with about 4-5 relays in it. I belive one is for the fuel pump. you'd have to jack the car, take off the wheel and remove the inner fenderwell. i had to replace mine bc of AC troubles also. picked it up from a salvage yard for about 5dollars. http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5297931_n.jpg
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StockD15b
the relay module you speak of i belive is called a Constant Control Relay Module. its a box with about 4-5 relays in it. I belive one is for the fuel pump. you'd have to jack the car, take off the wheel and remove the inner fenderwell. i had to replace mine bc of AC troubles also. picked it up from a salvage yard for about 5dollars. http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5297931_n.jpg
Mine has a brand new FORD OEM one that's less than 2 months old. I want to rule out everything else before I go messing with that... and before, it was never a fuel issue, only an A/C one... *sigh*
Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The fuel pump relay is contained within the CCRM as StockD15b stated, in that the CCRM was swapped out a couple months ago it, and/or its connectors and wiring, would be the first thing I would suspect...
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The fuel pump relay is contained within the CCRM as StockD15b stated, in that the CCRM was swapped out a couple months ago it, and/or its connectors and wiring, would be the first thing I would suspect...
Thanks. Checked tonight, no PCM codes and the fuel pump is definitely not powering up. Does Ford generally warranty their OEM parts? I won't be able to get it back to the shop that did the work, as that's 50 miles away. If the CCRM is gone, should I suspect it was faulty or that there's something else killing the unit? Note: previously the only part of the unit that had gone south was the A/C compressor portion. Do these go out a lot?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by ZeroTX
Thanks. Checked tonight, no PCM codes and the fuel pump is definitely not powering up. Does Ford generally warranty their OEM parts? I won't be able to get it back to the shop that did the work, as that's 50 miles away. If the CCRM is gone, should I suspect it was faulty or that there's something else killing the unit? Note: previously the only part of the unit that had gone south was the A/C compressor portion. Do these go out a lot?

Thanks!
Almost anything can "go out a lot" on a 10-year old car--I have no idea whether Ford offers any warranty, check with them and/or whoever installed the unit.

Before I set about getting a replacement I would open up the fender and make sure the CCRM is connected securely--pull the connector and make sure it's clean and undamaged, etc. Very often when new parts "fail" it turns out to be a failure of the installer rather than the new part...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Almost anything can "go out a lot" on a 10-year old car--I have no idea whether Ford offers any warranty, check with them and/or whoever installed the unit.

Before I set about getting a replacement I would open up the fender and make sure the CCRM is connected securely--pull the connector and make sure it's clean and undamaged, etc. Very often when new parts "fail" it turns out to be a failure of the installer rather than the new part...
if i remember correctly, theres a little bolt that holds the harness into the CCRM, maybe it wasn't reinstalled and its just a loose connection, definitely worth the 15 mins to take a look.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is a machine screw fastened the male and female connectors together, and a rubber seal--if not properly reconnected and tightened the screw could have backed out, or moisture/other crap could have made it's way into the connector. Wouldn't be the first time a "mechanic" lost a screw and said "screw it" (no pun intended).

My wife had an '89 Supra years ago, the auto tranny was slipping badly and they replaced it under warranty. We picked it up and realised before leaving the lot that the speedometer was not working--the service manager went to the shop, came back and told us "they lost the speedometer cable". I guess they thought maybe we wouldn't notice?

It took 7 weeks for them to get one, and they thought I was odd because I had placed a cap on the connection nipple on the tranny...
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Nice! Well, I'm slammed with work this week, and my wife nearly totalled her car today (putting us down to 1 out of 3 cars working), but I'm pushing the car out in the driveway this weekend to check it out. Anyone want to clue me in on any hints for removing the inner-fender liner?