4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Recomendations/Advice Suspension Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Default Recomendations/Advice Suspension Lowering

I have 105K and am in need of new shocks and struts. Was thinking while I am at it lowering it as there is so much wheel well above the tires. I want better handling but do not want to mess up the geometry. Its not a race car but I believe that while I am in there (or if I have it done then might as well make an improvement to the stock set up) Sooooooooo I am looking for advice on a good set of springs and shocks/struts that would be a drop in replacement.

What product/MFG/Specific parts do you guys recommend for your ride?

Foxtrot......

Been looking at this:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...cid=tpbfroogle
Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The geometry will change with any drop, but does not really become detrimental, until you go beyond 1"~1.5". At this point, a set of CC plates is a nice idea and would even be helpful without a drop, due to some caster that is of benefit.

Depending on your ULTIMATE goal, those CO's will work fine, but will require the CC plates for installation.

Jazzer
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Need some clarification on the Camber Castor plate. Installation maybe straight forward however what about any adjustments to castor and camber? This is normally done on expensive front end alignment equipment. Is this plate adjusted the same way? are you guys simply installing the plate and then running over to the alignment shop for adjustment?

Also is the plate absolutely required with any aftermarket spring? Is there any Castor Camber adjustment at all on the stock set up?

Lastly still looking for recommended components that have worked for you in the past.....
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

There is stock adjustment, but these caster/camber (cc) plates allow for more adjustment than stock when the suspension geometry has changed due to a lowering of more than ~1.5". This makes it easier to get the adjustments "in the green" when the vehicle is lowered. It also allows for more adjustment on a stock suspension. Alot of people like the eibach sport springs and and Upr springs. There are alot of viable options out there depending on what you want. How low do you want to go?

Also, yes...take the car for alignment after install. These plates make it much easier on the alignment techs, but the machines are still the best to get it right.

Last edited by stevednmc; 12-19-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Steve, I have way too much clearance between the wheel well and tire ~ 3.5 inches and running with 255x24x17. I would like to cut it as far down as possible so it looks like CC plates is probably going to be needed. how much clearance is required between the wheel well and tire? If I have 3.5 inches and i want to cut it in half (I think I could go more) then that puts the lowering amount to 1.75 inches which appears greater than most coil kits specify. I have run lower profile wheels in the past with much better handling characteristics and have even more clearance (so much so it looks like an off road vehicle lol). I want to go back to those lower profile tires but need to significantly lower the car to get the ful benefit and look decent.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

If you have the money you can go with these: http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...over-7994.html

They are fully adjustable so you can experiment with what you like.

Cheaper option would be to use these:http://www.americanmuscle.com/hr-sss...4-convert.html or these:http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...nvertible.html
The first one will get ya down pretty low. Alot of guys run these and love 'em. The second one doesnt get you as low so it depends on what you want. Either way I would recommend getting new shocks and struts as well. This way you can match the dampening with the spring rates. The lowering as all up to you on how low ya wanna go.
As far as the wheels and tires I wuldnt go with anything more than an 18" Wheel personally. Keeps ya pretty safe, And American Muscle sells wheel and tire combos. They say they guarantee that they wheel/tire combos they sell will work with whatever suspension set-ups they sell on their site as well. Besides, you can always call customer service to make sure.